Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Network

• Please log in to reply

Lachie

Lachie

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Recently got a new home built desktop PC - no problems with it.
Decided to have a home network - a small one. I have a fujitsu siemens laptop, - both pc's running XP (sp2) and additionally a hp iPAQ 2490 PDA, which has wifi.
Yesterday, I downloaded and installed internet explorer 7.

I started with a belkin router and pcmia card for the laptop, which started off ok, but once I put some security in, all went down.

Got a netgear router, set it up for the desktop pc, and I have internet and e-mail ok. However, the laptop does not seem to get the internet & e-mail, even although the signal strenght from the router is 'excellent'. I have mcafee total protection, which somehow does not seem to allow me to connect - even although the icon in the task bar says I am connected. The windows icon also tells me I have excellent signal strength.

However, I keep getting a message on the screen of the laptop, when I try to connect to the internet, saying, 'Internet explorer cannot display the webpage'. Pretty frustrating.
Additionally, the PDA seemed to work ok, prior to putting the security in when I first set up the network, but now it does not seem to connect. I have checked all the settings and am unable to see where & what I could adjust to remedy the problem. I have tried a vast series of combinations to get it to connect. The PDA runs on WM5.

I woiuld appreciate any help to get this sorted.

Thanx

Lachie

Advertisements

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Hello Lachie and welcome to G2G,

Couple quick questions to get us started:

but once I put some security in, all went down.

1. What type of security did you add: Mac Filter, WEP, WPA ?

both pc's running XP (sp2)

2. Which XP? Home or Pro.

I started with a belkin router and pcmia card for the laptop, which started off ok, but once I put some security in, all went down.
Got a netgear router, set it up for the desktop pc, and I have internet and e-mail ok. However, the laptop does not seem to get the internet & e-mail

3. So do you now have two routers that you are using at once, or are you just using the Netgear router for all three connections?

4. Please also list the Manufacturer and model number for the router and wireless cards.

5. Are you on dsl, cable, or dial up? (additionally are you using a VPN)?

6. And Lastly if i'm reading your post right; the desktop can still connect fine, but the wireless laptop and wireless pda cannot connect?

At a glance it looks like you configured your security wrong since it was workin fine before you changed that, so please answer the 6 questions and we will get you fixed up.

Lachie

Lachie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hi Spacecowboy 706, thanx for getting back.

The security I first put in on the belkin was WPA-PSK?? A colleague told me WEP was better, so that is what I have with this netgear router. A generator gave me the WEP code.
I am wondering if the McAfee total protection is clashing somewhere.

I only have the one router. A netgear 108 Mbps Wireless router - model No WGT624 - which is connected into a cable modem.
The previous router was a belkin Wireless G+MIMO router. It really did seem ok - AND probably still is, not sure how to reset it. I did try, via the manufacturers instructions, but..........

The card in the laptop is a belkin Wireless G+MIMO notebook card. I have power to it and the feed light is flickering - which I believe it should be doing.

The router will be the connection from the desktop to the laptop & PDA and I have just tried my PSP and it gets on the net OK. The PDA also worked ok before, but not now.

I have to apologise, I have seen and probably read what VPN is - pleae remind me!

Both PC's are running XP Home edition.

You are quite correct. I have internet & e-mail through the desktop - the cable modem & router sit on top of the CPU. At the moment, the laptop is right beside the desktop - until things get sorted.
Previously, I did have the laptop downstairs, and it was fine. I should learn to leave things alone, however, I thought I still had to put on the security, I THINK thats when things started to go loopy!

If you suggest trying the belkin again, thats fine, I still have it and as I said, it worked previously.

I am not too bad on computers, but this kind of stuff loses me - sorry!!

Very much appreciate your help.

Best Regards

Lachie

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
We dont want to go back to the belkin, Netgear is better in terms of reliability. :whistling: VPN's are ususally used if you are using a work Laptop to connect to your companies Business network, from home. This probably dooesn't apply in your situation, or you would know about it.

From your Dektop -------------------------------

1. Go to the Start button
2. Click on Run and type in: cmd and click the OK button
3. From the Black Command Screen window type in: ipconfig and hit Enter
4. This will give you results like this:
1.JPG
5. Copy down the ip address next to Default Gateway: third set.
6. Close out the Black Command Screen: Type exit and hit enter.
7. Open your web browser and type in the address i had you copy down from step 5.
8. This will open the Web based browser configuration utility for your router and you will be prompted for the username and password. If you haven't already changed it then it should be:
Username: admin
Password: password
9. Click the "Wireless Settings" link on the left side of the page under "Basic Settings".
10. Under "Wireless Network" and "Name: (SSID)" copy down what is listed there.
11. Under Security Options Select: Disable and then the "Apply" button.
12. Stop Here. Do nothing else on the desktop for now.

From your Laptop ---------------------------------

13. Go to the Start button
14. Click on Run and type in: ncpa.cpl and click the OK button
15. Locate your Wireless Device form the Local Area Connection titles and right click on it
16. Select Properties and this will open the Wireless Network Connection Properties window
17. Click on the Wireless Networks tab
18. Under the Preferred Networks section Select each broadcast and then click the Remove Button for each one
19. After they are all removed click the Ok button and you will be back at the Network connections window.
20. Right click on your Wireless card again and select "View Available wireless Networks"
21. Click the "refresh Network List" link on the left
22. Now on the right side of the window you should see your broadcast (copied down from step 10)
23. Select it by left clicking once then click the Connect button down below
24. After it does its automated business it should either say "connected" or take you back to the Network connections window.
25. Close out the Network connections window.
26. See if you can now surf the web.
27. Post back Yes or No.

The above steps are just to disable your security, to ensure there are no other configurations, for a working connection, needed before we start adding the security. I will also walk you through adding security once we verify that the internet works fine with no security.

Lachie

Lachie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hi SpaceCowboy 706

Ok followed your instructions up to point 24. I did highlight my network and press connect. But the top right hand side of the box, where my network is, says Not connected, however, there is a button at the bottom righthand of the 'Wireless network connection' box, which allows me to 'disconnect' - which even to me, doesn't sound right.

On my task bar, at the bottom right of the screen - on my laptop, I have a mcAfee icon for the wireless network security, informing me I have good signal strength and that I AM connected. However, the small windows icon, has a red cross though the connection icon, and as I hover the pointer over the icon it tells me I am not connected. A clash.

I did notice that you took me though the windows configuration for setting up a wireless network. I never set my network up using windows. This is where I think the McAfee may be conflicting with the windows set up. It has it's own wireless network security. Would it be best to uninstall Mcafee?? I have zone alarm ready, I have been told it is equally good??

Thanx again for your help, I hope it is not stopping you from doing other, more important things. Very appreciated.

I wont be about on Sunday, I will be back on Monday afternoon.

Hope the sun is shining in Oklahoma.

Regards

Lachie

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Ahh that is why... yes ditch mcafee.. zone alarm is much better... its what i use as well.

you may find that getting rid of mcafee completly can be challenging, so follow this guide.

then redo the steps from post #4 and reply back.

PS.... will be online allday today if you need more help.

Edited by SpaceCowboy706, 28 October 2006 - 10:07 AM.

Lachie

Lachie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hi SpaceCowboy,

Ok I have uninstalled McAfee from both PC's - the desktop & Laptop. I have run a search on both PC's and there does seem to be some residual files left over. Your advice on opening Hkey. etc, etc, seemed to go on. Does it ALL cover removal of McAfee??

How do you get HKEY... to start running?? (I know!! I'm a dumb a**)

However, went back to the laptop to see if there was any change. And unfortunately there is not.
I refresh the wireless networks - on the laptop, that windows picks up, it identifies mine, I highlight and click connect. A box appears which show a connection being made. As soon as that happens the top right hand side of the box, where my network is, says Not connected, however, there is a button at the bottom righthand of the 'Wireless network connection' box, which allows me to 'disconnect'. I did notice the box where my network is identified has 'manual' on the top right hand side of the box and a gold star beside it.

((I have just looked again at the laptop!! I have the box with the available wireless networks - and I AM connected now, with the availabilty to disconnect!!! (Wot the heck is going on here!!??) It is unsecured, however.))

Any ideas???

When I install Zone Alarm, will there be any conflicts similar to this? So, you recommennd Zone Alarm??

Thanks again for your help. Dunno how you know all this stuff, but it's great to know you do know it.

Lachie

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
as a question...you say that the current netgear router is set up with WEP encryption? when you found your network in the list and chose to connect to it...did it ask you to enter the WEP key at any point? it should have...

Lachie

Lachie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hi dsenette,

No it didn't ask me. Strange now that you bring it to my attention. I did use a WEP key - basically the unit generated it's own for me to use - is that usual?? But it did not ask for the WEP key.
I suppose you have been reading the thread. A bit of a strange one, I have to say.

SpaceCowboy has been really helpful. Any ideas about this one???

Regards

Lachie

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i'm not sure which wireless utility you're using in windows (are you using the windows one?)...but when you search for networks...and it finds yours....can you right click on it and choose "configure" or something to that effect? that may give you the optioin to select the encryption and put in the wep key

Advertisements

Lachie

Lachie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Dsenette,

Hi, I am using now using the windows configuration. It was clashing with the McAfee I had in.

I shall go and have a look to see if I can configure in some security.

Thanx dsenette - appreciated.

Lachie

Lachie

Lachie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Just tried to reconnect the laptop to the wireless network and basically got the same problem as before - showing 'not connected', but being offered the facility to disconnect. (?!?!?!)

No facility to configure any security at the moment, think it's done thru the router.

Regards

Lachie

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
see...that's the deal...is that for WEP to work...it has to be set up on both ends....the router has to do the security...but the connecting device (your laptop) has to be given that WEP key...that's the point of WEP...you have to KNOW the password to get in...otherwise it wouldn't work...i unfortunately don't have a wireless network to test with...give me a minute

Lachie

Lachie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Dsenette,

there was a WEP key generated by the router on initial set up.
Whilst the PC's had McAfee installed, the laptop would request the WEP key, thru the McAfee wireless network security system, but it always seemed to fail - or at least not connect. But there was a key, a colleague of mine informed me they were better than WPA-PSK security, so I went along with it. He made the computer I am using - which has no problems. And he does know about PC's - he's on holiday (Vacation) at the present time.

I am not sure if I totally tremoved McAfee from the computers. SpaceCowboy gave a guide on how to, not sure If I have done everything I need to tho'.

Lachie

Lachie

Lachie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Dsenette,

there was a WEP key generated by the router on initial set up.
Whilst the PC's had McAfee installed, the laptop would request the WEP key, thru the McAfee wireless network security system, but it always seemed to fail - or at least not connect. But there was a key, a colleague of mine informed me they were better than WPA-PSK security, so I went along with it. He made the computer I am using - which has no problems. And he does know about PC's - he's on holiday (Vacation) at the present time.

I am not sure if I totally tremoved McAfee from the computers. SpaceCowboy gave a guide on how to, not sure If I have done everything I need to tho'.

Lachie