Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Connection Wizard Options "Greyed Out"

• Please log in to reply

Arcanon

Arcanon

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi Folks,
I have a custom built PC that I didnt bother putting a 56k Modem in as I had Cable. I have now moved to a new area without cable and tried to install broadband.

The upshot of all this is that the setup tools sent by my service provider fail to work, telling me I will have to manually set my IP/TCP? Settings.

With the assistance of my service providers premium rate Tech-support line, attepting to use the internet connection wizard, I have now found that the screen that give four options (choose type of internet connection...Dial up/Broadband/Network or connection that is always on, the option relating to dial up are "Greyed out".

Having run a few diagnostics included some legnthy ones I am a bit lost.

Sorry that I cant show screen shots, as I have no internet at home and Im having to do this from my works PC.

Any of you guys have a clue what this may be? :whistling:

Advertisements

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
1. What operating system is this?

2. You say you don't have cable now but have "broadband"?? Are you referring to DSL? And if so, do you have a DSL modem connected? If it is NOT DSL but dial-up you shouldn't need to do any TCP/IP configurations.

3. Does the account you are using have "Administrator" rights?

Arcanon

Arcanon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Sorry.....XP SP2....DSL...yes modem connected via usb....and yes to admin rights.

AAOROE

AAOROE

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
can you post a screnshot? I am pretty sure I know what you mean but I am better if you can provide an image of some sort to show me. A good program to get screenhosts is called ScreenHunte.r YOu have to use the trial but it never runs out which is aweosme. I have to use it in my network class.

Thanks

Mike

Edited by AAOROE, 27 October 2006 - 07:45 AM.

Arcanon

Arcanon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Sorry its tricky to get screenshot as im at work and the PC in question is at home and isnt connected to the internet because of this problem. :whistling:

But its a few screens into the setup internet connection wizard, when it asks you what sort of connection you would like as badly detailed above.

Edited by Arcanon, 27 October 2006 - 08:46 AM.

AAOROE

AAOROE

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
ok when you have a chance please get a screen shot. i never had to use the internet connetion wizard because i just "plugged n played"

mike

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
You shouldn't even need to use the ICW. Thats the whole point of Plug and Play. Have you installed the USB drivers for the modem?

Arcanon

Arcanon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Yeah drivers installed and working

AAOROE

AAOROE

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
are they the most udpated drivers sometimes that is the problem.

Arcanon

Arcanon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Yeah only just got the modem and disk, so drivers are not the problem Ive set it up no problem on the GFs laptop.

Its just my main pc that has this problem.

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
First, optional step - unplug the USB and connect through ethernet. Better. Faster. Stronger. No drivers to worry about.

Aside from that, generally speaking, you just need to set up a pppoe connection to the DSL line. Go to Control Panel -> Internet Options -> Connections tab. Trying to remember how to do this in XP...you should be able to click Add, and just create it as if you would a dialup connection, specifying the userid and password.

Arcanon

Arcanon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Here is a screen shot of the relvant part of the wizard (if ive atatched it right) from my works pc, on my pc at home the top two options I need are "Greyed out".

The setup disk I got from virgin wont work, and I suspect this is the reason as naturaly tthe tech support told me to try and set it up manually.

Any body seen this before? :whistling:

http://i43.photobuck...nHunter_002.jpg

Edited by Arcanon, 02 November 2006 - 10:57 AM.

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
It sounds like your computer either is not recognizing the modem, or the modem may be improperly configured. In network connections, you should see the modem listed...if you right click on the connection, go to Status, then Support, does it have an IP address listed?

Additionally, go to Control Panel -> System -> Hardware tab -> Device Manager, click on the + next to Modems, and let us know what's listed there. Check for any items with a ! or ? next to them, and let us know what they are, if any.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
I would just setup the modem via Ethernet rather then USB, that way you dont need to worry about drivers. Have you tried to hook up this modem to another machine?

Arcanon

Arcanon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Yeah worked fine on my laptop....its just my main PC. And it only sets up via usb...no ethernet connection :whistling:

Edited by Arcanon, 07 November 2006 - 03:07 AM.