Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No reponse when in Windows XP Control Panel

• Please log in to reply

wilzn2

wilzn2

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
I am having a problem which just started appearing last week. I try to do routing maintenance on my computer every Friday (deleting old e-mails, disk cleanup, check to see if I need to defrag, etc.).

Last week, I got into the Control Panel in order to do some maintenance. I can select the Control Panel. Then I get to the screen that shows the different choices, such as Peformance and Maintenance, Appeance and Themes, etc.

But once I click on any of the above choices, I can still move my mouse over the choices on the next screen, but none of the choices become underlined and clicking does nothing. If I hit control-alt-delete, I also get a message that the system is not responding.

This happens in ANY of the choices in the Control Panel.

I can still reach my maintenance tabs by accessing them through the Menu-Accessories-System Tools, etc, route, but it is very annoying.

Anyone have any idea what this is happening in my Control Panel and how to fix it?

Thanks!

Advertisements

wilzn2

wilzn2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Thank you --- that worked!