Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Backup/Burner Programs Not Working

• Please log in to reply

Cabranth

Cabranth

• PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
Hello.

I just got a new PC a couple of days ago. I've been trying to use Backup software to transfer some of my unique files from my old PC to the new one. I have tried using the Nero Back It Up which is on both my PCs, as well as a freeware program I downloaded called GenieSoft Backup Manager.

About 3/4 of my attempts however have ended in failure. The problems I have encountered are: The program tries to burn a file on too few CDs (tries to use 2 when it obviously needs 3). The Restore process fails (don't know why, the CD being restored to the new PC just stops and I get an error message saying restore failed).

I have been using Memorex High Speed CD-RWs with 700mb space. I have been making sure the CDs were erased before each of my attempts to Backup/Restore.

I know I can do this with a direct connection, but I don't have the cable to do it. Unless there's absolutely no way to fix this trouble I'm having I'm not going out and spending more money I don't have to get one.

Thx.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Instead of using a backup/restore program, have you tried simply putting all the files you want to transfer into a single folder, then burning all the files in that folder to a CD. I realise you won't get any compression that way so you'll need more discs, but if it works it's worth it. I would aslo use CD-R not CD-RW as they are less reliable, and CD-Rs are now cheap enough to make CD-RW uneccessary.

It may also be a good time to invest in a DVD burner since you would then probably get all the files on one disc.

Cabranth

Cabranth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
Hi.

Thanks for the response, pip22.

Are you saying that I can just "burn" my stuff to CDs without the Backup program? Do I just use a "burn a Data CD" function, then when I put the CDs in the new PC select "Copy" from the menu for the CDs? How exactly?

I do have a CD/DVD drive, what difference does that make for how I can do this stuff?

I'm sorry but buying anything else right now is not an option till I have determined I can't fix my problems with what I have. I know it sounds cheap, but I'm so far in debt because of this new PC that $5 is a fortune to me right now, and I have no budget for "extras" till I repay the loan I took out. I also don't want to buy single-write-only CDs because I'm not backing anything up for archives, I'm just trying to put files from my old PC on my new one.

Thx.