Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Interesting phenomenon

• Please log in to reply

jester620

jester620

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
Hey guys,

This has me puzzled. A buddy gave me an old Dell Laptop that was plagued HD errors and BSOD. So I decided I'd try to clean it up and use it as a internet surfing comp for my living room. After attempting clean installs of Windows 2000, XP, & even 98, I would still get BSOD's. Long story short, I decided I'd give Linux a shot.

The interesting thing with Ubuntu installed on the HD, I don't have any HD errors and it runs extremely well for an old laptop. So far I've had little to no problems with Ubuntu Linux.

Being new to linux, can someone explain why this might be happening?

Is it just the shear stability of linux that keeps this HD running?

Edited by jester620, 27 October 2006 - 12:05 PM.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Linux kernel is smaller than windows, it can therefore run more in memory in fact alot run totally from memory HDD access is greatly reduced thus allowing better access to drives that are on their last legs however they will eventually go it just takes a little longer however at that stage if linux cant use it its totally buggered.

jester620

jester620

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
Well, I guess I jinxed myself by starting this thread. It froze last night and upon reboot, gave me HD errors. It lasted for three weeks without failing. Whereas Windows wouldn't make it past ten minutes.

I guess I'm not out any money and my curiosity about linux is sparked. Time to start playing with linux on some older HD's I have laying around.

jester620

jester620

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
sorry for the double post.

Edited by jester620, 28 October 2006 - 08:57 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah it uses it a bit less so you can get away with more, Linux is a good use of old drives, you can also repartition larger drives and use Linux and windows. If you use Ubuntu Edgy is very good ive been using it for a couple of weeks and its been great, its also very good with enlightenment which is a window manager(like Gnome or KDE) but lighter on resources but looks just as good and has allot of great features.