Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ensuring I don't transfer any *junk* from old computer to new one

• Please log in to reply

Janet A

Janet A

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I just received my new Dell XPS and am anxious to get my stuff transferred from my 6 year old Compaq Presario. I've never gone through this process before and want to ensure I don't transfer any unnecessary files or junk to my new computer.

For the past two months, I've had many bizarre issues with my old computer. Earlier this month I went through the malware/spyware removal process with your expert guidance, with positive results, however my old computer is still slow.

I then experienced a couple of new bizarre issues after the spyware/malware process--I can't open more than one Internet Explorer window at a time and suddenly my sound stopped working for audio files (not immediately, but a fews days later). I still hear occassional *beeps* with email or similar but can't listen to audio files. After posting about that in another topic, the guess was it's a problem of not enough memory.

My old computer has a 901Mhz processor; a 27.95 GB hard drive and 640 MB of RAM. It says I have 1626 MBs of free memory and 4.69 GB free on the hard drive. I don't know enough about this stuff to determine whether or not this is truly the problem.

That's one issue. The other issue is knowing the best way to proceed getting my new computer up and running without transferring any of the problems from my old computer to the new one. I'd really appreciate any support/guidance you're willing to give!

Kind regards,

Janet :whistling:

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if your old computer has a cd ...or better...a dvd burner...just burn your data to disk...and after you have your new computer up to speed with a anti virus..spyware..adware programs....put the CD/DVD in the drive and right click on to CD drive and scan all the files before transfering them to your new computer...don't try to transfer any programs...reinstall them to the new computer.....