Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP system recovery/Unable to create user partition

• Please log in to reply

TN1

TN1

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,

After searching on system recovery, I have seen related topics but nothing exactly the same...

Background: HD crashed on HP Pavilion PC running XP Home so installed new HD and tried to restore system using system recovery CDs ordered from HP.

After loading 7 CDs, the system recovery stopped with the error message, "Cannot create user partition! System recovery cannot continue!"

After some info from HP, created 6 floppy boot disks for XP Home, ran boot disk and deleted existing partition created by system restore. Restore worked but then system became infected before anti-virus software was installed.

Now, redoing the whole process but cannot get past error message, "Cannot create user partition! System recovery cannot continue!" Am I missing something obvious??

System hardware is identical to original confg. Thanks for any help.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Download a boot floppy (win98se works well) from www.bootdisk.com

Reboot with floppy in the drive and system configured to check floppy first.

at A:\> prompt, type

fdisk

choose step 4 --display partition info

report back...I have...a theory

TN1

TN1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
OK. I found the following:

C: Partition 1 Status A Type PRI DOS Volume Label HP_RECOVERY MByte 4400 System FAT32 Usage 20%

I then deleted the partition and tried loading the 7 system recovery CDs but it stopped at the same error, "Cannot create user partition".

Any suggestions?