Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Dying Hard drive?

• Please log in to reply

RichP

RichP

• PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Trying to help a friend.

He's using Win ME (I know, I know). When he tries to do anything, open Word, use the internet etc, the computer freezes and takes about 5 minutes to open any window or do anything.

At first we thought it might be a virus or spyware (Limewire user).

I've posted a HJT log here

However, whilst waiting for a response, I've downloaded the IBM HD utility (it's a Dell, checked the HD) and every time I try to run it the computer shuts down immediately after loading the 2nd floppy disk, when it's about to check the drive. I hear the HD kick into action, that little click you hear, then the computer immediately reboots.

HD dying?

Advertisements

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
So if you just boot the pc up, does it seem to boot up normally? After it's up and running, does it spontaneously reboot?

That '5 minute slowness' sure seems like it's loaded with spyware, virus's etc. to me.

edit: I worked on one that did exactly what your describing. It took 5 minutes for a window to open up. It took forever but I managed to download AVG antivirus and got it installed. It ran to completion and found a ton of trojans, virus's etc. After everything was cleaned up, it ran like it was brand new.

I find that free Avast is better than AVG. But both are good....

Edited by macten, 27 October 2006 - 04:52 PM.

RichP

RichP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Thanks for the reply.

It's been scanned with AVG and it finds nothing.

It boots up OK but everything runs very slowly. It doesn't reboot. It's when I tried running the IBM HD diagnostic utility from the floppy disks that it shuts down and reboots.

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
I would go into safe mode and see if it's still slow. As the pc is booting up press F8 every second or so. This should get you to safe mode. Try opening a few windows or playing solitaire. Is it just as slow?

edit: have you checked how much free space you have on the drive? Double click My Computer and right click on the drive.

I would run scandisk. Click start, run and type scandisk and click 'ok'. I would run the regular scandisk first and then run the thorough scandisk. Run scandisk in safe mode.

How long has it been since it was last formatted?

Edited by macten, 28 October 2006 - 03:46 AM.

RichP

RichP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Tried scandisk in Safe Mode. It got stuck and wouldn't go any further.

He's decided it's time to upgrade to XP and get a new HD.

Thanks for the ideas.

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
One way to quickly check for a dying disk that is still just managing to run Windows is to try a defrag (with AV disabled of course). If defrag progress bar gets 'stuck' and refuses to go any further (NOT constantly re-starting which is a common and unassociated problem) then the disk is definitely damaged and needs replacing.