Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Quantum Computing

• Please log in to reply

Mr.Chow

Mr.Chow

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
Thank You james_8970 for mentionging somthing about this, quantum computers. For me it is a hard topic to think clearly about. But from what it sounds it has a nearly unlimited speed and instead of writing information being writtin on somthing it will be placed as matter. With this I see a few problems.

1) You must find a way to control all the protons and elctrons to do what you want.

2) How could u make these electrons do this ?

It is very confusing but from what i read this is what i got out of it. PLease correct me if I'm wrong but this is very intersting topic to me and somthing i would like to better understand how it would work.

From my understanding this means computers would be nearly microscopic with the exception of somthing controling the electrons and protons.

http://en.wikipedia....uantum_computer

I think that somthign liek this would most certinly revolutionize the industry. Wether it is possible I think it just might, because they have descibed smaller scales of this kind of computing.

Do you think it is possible ?

Do you think this will be the future of computers ?

Or will their be somthing else faster or more efficient ?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i'm not a quantum computing master...so i'm not going to even try to go into how they work...i just know it's about the spin of mollecules....WEIRD..

Do you think it is possible ?

Do you think this will be the future of computers ?

Or will their be somthing else faster or more efficient ?

it's been proven possible as they have been able to initiate the proper spin and they've been able to measure this in the way that they want to to say "yeah...we can do this"

i would think that quantum computing will have a large future in compouters...but not any time soon...alot of ground work to go...

of course there will be something faster and more efficient ...bill gates himself was reported as saying "640K ought to be enough for anybody." in 81...look at where we're at now? it would be mildly depressing to think that we've hit the ceiling of possibility...

Mr.Chow

Mr.Chow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
haha i rember Bill Gates saying that ... :whistling:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Quantum computing is something that is very far off, its not even guaranteed to even be possible its largely based upon unproven theories. If it can work it has potential not quite for unlimited computing power but certainly for much greater power than we have now. There are certain impracticalities its unlikely that the average person will have access to the technology or at least not likely to have a quantum computer of there own.

Mr.Chow

Mr.Chow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
well that is what we say today .... in another 50 years that could be diffrent ...

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well probably but 50 years is a long time for human being most of the people working in quantum computing now will be dead and a second generation of physicists and engineers will be working on it. Thats again if its even possible, we still have such a little understanding of the quantum world, we haven't even detected some particles yet that would give insights to how these things even work, one of the biggest problems are basic principles like Heisenberg that is either going to be something very useful or a enormous hurdle.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
I'm completely fascinated by quantum physics (as a hobby). I subscribe to NewScientist, and there's a free article full of great content here: http://www.newscient...um-world/dn9930

If you know nothing else about quantum physics, you need to know about the double-slit experiment:
http://video.google....751840526284618

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
:whistling: You have gotten me addicted!!!!
This is the last thing i needed, to be addicted to something else to do witha computer.......
Then more i learn about it, the more questions i have.
James

Mr.Chow

Mr.Chow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

:whistling: You have gotten me addicted!!!!
This is the last thing i needed, to be addicted to something else to do witha computer.......
Then more i learn about it, the more questions i have.
James

haha same here. I share your aw ... thats why i had to post somthing about this after hearing about it.

Mr.Chow

Mr.Chow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

If you know nothing else about quantum physics, you need to know about the double-slit experiment:
http://video.google....751840526284618

What what a trip ! That is crazy ! Very, VERY intersting !

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Try spending the first two years of your degree learning quantum mechanics over and over again in slightly different ways each time. Its boring and totally infuriating, quantumn mechanics is only interesting when its not something you actually need to do.