Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

What kind of mouse is this?

• Please log in to reply

emaan9301

emaan9301

• PipPip
  • 96 posts
Hello, first of all i want to say thank you to all who helped me in finding the name of the keyboard connector that I needed. I just received an adapter yesterday and it works great.

Now I have another problem with the same computer. It is not registering that it has a mouse hooked up to it. It is an older computer that I was setting up for my children to use. I had everything for it when I packed up over the summer and moved now it doesn't seem to want to work right. The mouse that goes with it connects to the back like the monitor does, it's not a ps2 connection. It has the little rectangular part that the little prongs go into and it has the screw pieces on the sides to hold it in place. How would i go about finding another mouse to replace this one with or would it be better to try and get someone to update the connection to the ps2? I need something that could be cheap because I don't have a lot of money to put into this right now. If any one could help me it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jennifer

Edited by emaan9301, 27 October 2006 - 04:08 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Sounds like you might have a serial mouse. Check the number of pins on it and the number of pins on the connector you plug it into.

PS/2 ports have five pins, Serial ports have nine, USBs don't have pins (as such).

Serial mice go for peanuts on eBay if that is what is causing the problem, however it is also possible that there is a problem with the connector on the board that the mouse plugs into.

emaan9301

emaan9301

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
Thank you so much, it is a serial mouse. What could be the problem with the connector on the board? I have no idea about these things, all I know is when i turn on the computer it tells me that there is no mouse connected and I know that it is.

emaan9301

emaan9301

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
Would it be a bad idea to buy an adapter like I did with the keyboard? I found one on ebay for $.99 and $2.00 shipping. Is that good?

bmwboy

bmwboy

• PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Would it be a bad idea to buy an adapter like I did with the keyboard? I found one on ebay for $.99 and $2.00 shipping. Is that good?

Not a bad idea at all, if you feel like keeping the current mouse, that sounds good for you.

--bmwboy

emaan9301

emaan9301

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
The adapter that I found would convert it from the serial port to a ps2. I have another computer that has seen better days and it has a ps2 mouse I can use from it.

Thanks for all the help.

Jennifer