Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC Dying on Start-up

• Please log in to reply

foxoff

foxoff

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
Hello,

I have been having real problems with my PC.

When powering on, sometimes (and the frequency is increasing) nothing happens at all. I can hear the fan going but the PC itself doesn't begin start-up. Other times I can hear the DVD ROM kick in and the screen starts but then when windows tries to start everything dies and I get a blank screen (fan continues to run). Other times Windows starts but before the log-in screen everything dies again.

Please help if you can. This is driving me a little crazy :whistling:

Fox

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi. When did this start? Have you made any changes to the system recently?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
does it ever get to your desktop...have you tried starting in safe mode...

Edited by happyrck, 28 October 2006 - 08:40 AM.

foxoff

foxoff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Hi Stormknight6 & happyrck, thanks for responding.

This started a few weeks ago. I recently upgraded my RAM from 0.5m to 1.5mb with 3 matching sticks of PC2700 DDR SDRAM.

I can get to my desktop but it can take a few tries. I have tried bootiong in safe mode but still it crashes on me that way as well.

Would appreciate any help you can throw my way.

Best,
Fox

foxoff

foxoff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Oh, one last thing. I also added a new DVD ROM (LITE-ON DVDRW SHM-165H6S) a few months ago.

Fox

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
Try playing with the RAM stics.
(try starting the cmp with one in turns and c what happens.)

it seems 2 me that one of them is giving u trouble.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go here and get memtest86 and check your memory...let it run for at least 3 hours...if you get any errors in that time remove 2 of the three sticks and test 1 at a time...

http://www.memtest.org/

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
hi HAPPRCK
wont it b faster for a one stick at a time test before waiting 2hr 2 see if there is a problem?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
it may not be the memory at all and testing them all at once would show us if it is a memory problem...but if its not a memory problem we will have eliminated the ram as suspects in this "who done it"

foxoff

foxoff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Thanks guys, but my PC can't run the ISO or BIN files downloaded from this site. All I get is a text file with code. Any suggestions on how I can run these?

Thanks,
Fox

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
get burncdcc...the .iso files are image files and need to be burned to cd or dvd....after you burn it to a cd you put it in the cd drive and reboot...it will run without any operating system....you may have to go into bios and reset the boot order...

http://www.snapfiles...t/burncdcc.html

foxoff

foxoff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Hi,

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back, but I was away for a while and sitting some exams after that. Have only been able find time to test the memory in the last couple of days. There was a problem with one of my RAM sticks that memtest picked up. I have taken it out and am runnin g with 2 x 512 MB sticks instead of three with one corrupted one. have still had trouble powering Windows, which persisted crashing on start-up for a while after. However, I just got it running after Windows started a "chkdisk" (first time it had done this) test and all of a sudden I am in.

Don't know if this is the end of the problem, but I hope so.

Thanks happyrck and vally for all your help. :whistling:

Fox

foxoff

foxoff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Hi,

Too good to be true it seems. I was a bit premature with my last post. PC is still having problems getting started and often cuts out prior to launching Windows - the screen just blanks.

I know that the RAM card was a big problem, but now that is resolved I don;t know if there is anything else I can do to fix it?

Fox

:whistling:

pyron81

pyron81

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
Well if you can keep it on long enough and you've run a RAM test. I'd test the hard drive next, and finally make sure that the power supply is in fact running.

If the screen is not coming on though that lets me know that it is either going to be one of the above two or it might be your graphic card. Sad to say but without checking these things and telling us if your are sure they are running it could be any number of things.

Check to see if the power supplies fan starts up first. If your power supply is going out it would cause crashes and blue screens.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Just a quick thought here....
foxoff, you said you ran memtest & it detected a problem. Did you run memtest over the sticks individually? (i.e test each one in turn by removing the other two). If not, then I suggest you do this as it sounds like you may have removed the wrong stick.

Failing that, the problem could be that more than one stick is bad, a ram socket is bad, or the sticks are mismatched. Just because all 3 sticks are PC2700 doesn't necessarily mean that they are matched that well