Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Question about SP2

• Please log in to reply

Manners

Manners

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
Put in router last month. Problems started way before that, so I naturally assumed that IE was the same old thing. IE connects to other computer which is wireless. Routers create firewalls too, don't they?? OK. My idiocy is showing!

Didn't know you could use Firefox for updates. Good to know!!!

Thank you again for your help.

Manners

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
also...looking at your HJT log you dont have a firewall.... or... it / they are turned off

Edited by happyrck, 30 October 2006 - 10:30 AM.

Manners

Manners

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
Disconnected router last night and still no IE. Thank you for confirming I have no firewall other than Windows.

That is the big point that techs have argued with me on and then tell me it is my computer (firewall), not their program.

I don't think anybody else is going to weigh in on this, now that the weekend is over. So, is it worth a shot to try and do a reinstall of SP2 and the rest of its updates?

I will have to wait until I hear from the other forum on my HJT log to make sure I am clean, but then I can bite the bullet and go ahead and do it.

Do I have to do it manually in Firefox without IE??

Manners

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if you can't use IE then you can still get them using firefox...lets see if I can get some other techs to look at this

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
Yes i believe you probably did install SP2 over some malware, uninstalling might cause a bigger porblem although i doubt that, you'd better wait for another tech like happyrck said.

-OCM770-

P.S. If you want to use firefox to get microsoft windows updates from the microsoft web page then you need an extension to firefox. There is one called IE Tab, i use it and it works great, although i'm not sure if it will work with you for it uses the IE engine, maybe happyrck has another solution to this.:whistling: good luck!

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you dont need IE tab to get the updates using firerfox

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try uninstalling spybot search and destroy...its been suggested that maybe tea timer is the cause...you could reinstall it again and not use tea timer if it turns out to be the problem..if that doesn't work we could try a repair

Manners

Manners

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
Uninstalled Spybot. No difference. Totally turned off any firewall for a few minutes, no difference. Connection detection shows everything is working well.

How far back can I do a system restore? Would that restore virus & malware too? Is that a lousy idea?? Did it after I uninstalled IE7 for the day before (last week) and it didn't make a difference either. Should I try it without Spybot??

Sorry if I'm starting to sound desperate! I have paid for 2 subscription databases that I cannot use. :whistling:

I truly believe that something is goofy in SP2.

Manners

Thank you all so very much for trying so hard to help me. It is very much appreciated.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go back a week at a time until its fixed or you dont have any more restore points to try...and yes we may get some crud back on there but that can be fixed..

how did you turn off the firewall ...your log didn't show a firewall on...

Edited by happyrck, 30 October 2006 - 11:45 PM.

Manners

Manners

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
Turned off the main Windows Firewall. Should that have shown on HJT?? Also, I now have the firewall on the router disconnected. Tried going back to 2 weeks ago w/System Restore. No difference except lost Firefox. That scared me, so restored back to today. Now can't get AVG to start. Says AVG virus kernel interference. I'll try uninstalling and reinstalling.

Are we having fun yet??? ROF- crying!!!

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
turn on your firewall..then make a new folder on your desktop and name it XP UPDATES...then launch firefox and click on tools ....options...then the download tab...where it asks where to download to...put a tick in the button ...save all files to this folder...browse to the folder you just made...select it and then OK...
then go here and in the XP section get SP 3 and download to your desktop...if you have a fast connection you can get ALL the updates here and burn them to CD or better DVD ( it will hold them all)...
when I do onsite repairs I have got away with installing installing 10 of the patchs at a time...just keep telling windows not to restart after some of the updates have been installed..to be safest just do them month by month..strarting with the oldest month and working up ..rebooting after each months worth of patches..there is a section at this link to get IE patches and updates..you can try them if you want....but I think getting the SP's should do it......
you install them by dbl clicking on them

http://www.softwarep...dows/index.html

AFTER GETTING ALL THE UPDATES
burn them to CDs or DVDs so you will always have them...
go back to options in FF and change the downloads to be saved where it used to be

Edited by happyrck, 31 October 2006 - 09:35 AM.

Manners

Manners

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
Thank you for the detailed instructions!! I will download make DVD after I get a clean bill of health.
Manners

Manners

Manners

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
Thank you for the detailed instructions!! I will download make DVD after I get a clean bill of health.
Manners