Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New PC: Need Help Removing Garbage Programs

• Please log in to reply

Cabranth

Cabranth

• PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
Hi.

I just got my new PC. It looks like I've got about double the number of processes running(compared to my old PC) when I open the Task Manager. I have no idea which programs are necessary (exept for obvious ones like Explorer), and which ones are trash software bundled with the PC and set to run whenever I start the PC. There's just a ton of stuff I've never seen before on my old PC with XP.

My new PC is a HP A1620N, and the OS is XP Media Center 2005.

Could someone possibly help walk me through determining which processes are trash and shutting down/disabling them?

Advertisements

shazmar

shazmar

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Try this. Download and run the free prog Advanced Winow Care. This will list all progs running on startup and lets you remove progs from startup. Anything you are not sure of just Google and you will find if you need it or not. It will at least give you a start.

Cabranth

Cabranth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
Hi.

Thank you very much shazmar. I will try that. I'm not sure how much it will help, since I'm about as ignorant as is possible about this, but I'll give anything a try right now. I simply can't believe that every one of these extra processes I'm seeing in the Task Manager are essential to running my PC.

Thx again.

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Hi there,

You might want to check out The PC Decrapafier. It was started by a guy looking for a way to automate the cleaning up of a Dell. It now supports most Big Box systems.

Cabranth

Cabranth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
Hi.

Thanks silverbeard. I will give that a shot also. I'll try just about anything right now:(

Dredginator

Dredginator

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Ah! We sell this machine at circuit city...I have to clean the crap off these on a daily basis. Without having one in front me I cant tell you the exact ones to keep running....check back here tomorrow (if you're still having the problem and ill give you a list...HP is getting notorious for putting junk on their PC's. Especially the "Wild Tangent" games...Those programs suck, they are basically spyware!