Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

LCD Monitor - Help Needed

• Please log in to reply

MitchC

MitchC

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hey guys,

Well... I seem to have a predicament on my hands. I have pre-ordered a Wii. I originally was going to use a VGA switch converter and play the Wii on my 19" Samsung SyncMaster 997 MB because I don't own a TV and don't really want one.

But then I had a genius idea (Funny how "genius" ideas = Me spending money") to buy an LCD monitor. Now... there are a few purposes I want this monitor for:

1. I want it to be able to hook up to a Wii, via composite/s-video/component.
2. I would also like to use it as a dual monitor for my computer; for applications such as Photoshop. (I have a BFG GeForce 6800 Ultra PCI-e running in SLI; not sure if that will affect the decision or not.) I think I would also watch movies and DVDs off my computer on it as well.

I am looking for an LCD around 20-22". A decent refresh rate, preferably <15 ms. A good contrast ratio, I was told 1000:1 was good. I think the widescreen would be nice for movies. I should mention that I am a Samsung fan and love their product. I am looking to spend around $500 CAD (~$450 USD)

I found the Samsung 215TW and thought it was the monitor for me! Then I read that the aspect ratio cannot be changed from 16:10 to 16:9 for Wii gaming. Is this much of a concern? I read the Samsung only switched between 16:9 widescreen and 4:3. Someone was complaining about how it stretched the picture to 16:10.

I also looked at the Dell 2007WFP. The Dell seemed like a decent candidate as well. The refresh rate was higher than the Samsung as was the contrast ratio. Screen size is a bit smaller too.. But it's cheaper. This was lacking the component input. Also, I am not a huge fan of Dell... Furthermore, I am not sure if you can adjust the aspect or not.

Do you think one of these would work? Should I look at something else? What are your suggestions to suit my needs? Any advice and input would be much appreciated. I hope to come to a conclusion by the end of the weekend so I can still get the Halloween sale at NCIX if I decide to order from them. :whistling:

Thanks!!

Mitch

Edited by MitchC, 28 October 2006 - 04:17 AM.

Advertisements

MitchC

MitchC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Bump... :whistling:

jdbnsn

jdbnsn

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I use a Dell 20.1" 2005WFP and it is an outstanding monitor. I'm not a fan of Dell computers but their monitors have greatly impressed me. I run my PC through DVI, XBox 360 through VGA, and Xbox through S-vid. I think it's a great way to go. You don't have the component option but you can definately get great (equal from what I can tell, if not better) results with a VGA cable, assuming Wii has that option. There is a local guy selling two identical 2005WFP's for $500 and he said he'd throw in a GeForce 6800. You wanna split the cost and each get one?

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
I've got a gateway 21" widescreen, and I love it. Model FPD2185W