Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Clean XP Home install, can't copy .cab or .dll, BSOD

• Please log in to reply

DryCod

DryCod

• Pip
  • 4 posts
A friend had a 5 year-old 1.6GHz machine from Gateway as a backup for his regular machine, and the HD went bad. He pulled the HD and was going to throw it away when he heard I was building a "Phoenix Lab" (rebuilt from scrap parts) for my 6 kids. So he gave me his junker (I am embarrassed to tell him it puts to shame my 7-year-old 1GHz machine).

Salvaged a HD and reformatted it, then tried to install it with the Gateway XP Home CD that had come with the machine. Just to be safe, created a new single partition, ran a slow NTFS format, and tried to install Win XP Home. Got to copying files and at about 11% through the task, it consistently chokes and cannot copy "drivers.cab". Hit <enter> to retry several times, no good. Hit <esc> to by pass, but then it starts choking on all sorts of *.dll and *.ttf files. Finally it jumps into blue screen of death (BSOD) mode with STOP error "00000050", which I gather is hardward compatibility issue.

I bought a new HD (Hitachi 160Gb), and tried with that with similar results.

Spent some time chatting with Gateway (they are nice in that they still take some time to chat even if you are two years out of warrantee, and not even the original owner--I like that), but they suggested a corrupted XP Home CD. They don't carry replacements for systems before 2004, so they suggested I buy a new one.

Paid TigerDirect $90 and got a legal version of Win XP Home OEM yesterday, and excitedly retried system (after fdisk/mbr and scandisk/fix), with full slow NTFS reformat etc, only to get the same problem.

I printed the list from Gateway of the orignial components that shipped with the machine, and found the DVD-RW was later added (no problem, just d/c'd, but still got error). Also the ATI Radeon 9200 128Mb was also added.

My theory now is that the ATI Radeon is the culprit (it is not listed on the "tried and true" compatibility list at MS website). Before I go throwing away more $$ to by an old, junky AGP videoboard that's on the sacred List, can anyone check my logic to make sure I have tried everything else?

Oh, yeah, I also downloaded Linux Knoppix V.5.0.1 to CD, but can't seem to get that to run on it. I wanted to use that to check to see if there was a critical hardware FLAW (bad circuit, etc) rather than just a MS incompatibility.

Hope that's the right amount of info (not too skimpy, not too much). I've got some roll-up your sleeves and dig into PC hardware background from my engineering days back in the 80's, but have been out of the loop for some time (as you can see that I still run a 1 GHz machine as my hot-rod).

Thanks,
DryCod

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
my next logical step would be to suspect faulty RAM as I doubt very much the radeon video card would cause the Windows install to fail even if it was incompatible (which would be very unusual). Any problems with graphics cards (other than the card being 'dead') would not become apparent till the first boot into Windows in my experience.

DryCod

DryCod

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I'll try it. Worst case scenario we add 256Mb, right?

Whoa, just checked Gateway website. My RAM is:
256 MB PC800 RDRAM
Their price for same is $175.00.

Am I stuck using PC800 RDRAM, or is there a lower-priced compatible type of RAM I can buy?

Thanks,
DryCod

Edited by DryCod, 28 October 2006 - 06:42 AM.

DryCod

DryCod

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Just got off chat with Gateway support. Can only use PC800 memory with this item. 256Mb upgrade costs $175, 512 Mb costs $300. Probably would have been better to torch this one and buy a complete "new" system for $400.

Found one no-name cheap alternative at 256Mb for $70, but no label, and no review of company on web grabber. Probably not worth the gamble. Others have 256Mb for about $100 each, but this unit appears to be the type that must upgrade in pairs.

Any suggestions?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

Just got off chat with Gateway support. Can only use PC800 memory with this item. 256Mb upgrade costs $175, 512 Mb costs $300. Probably would have been better to torch this one and buy a complete "new" system for $400.

It's not worth spending the money on one component when you can put a little bit more towards it and replace the lot, plus get far better performance out of the new kit in any case.

Found one no-name cheap alternative at 256Mb for $70, but no label, and no review of company on web grabber. Probably not worth the gamble. Others have 256Mb for about $100 each, but this unit appears to be the type that must upgrade in pairs.

Because memory is a critical part of the computer chain in the way it shifts data around, I would rather buy memory with a decent brand name on it (such as Crucial or Kingston for example as they both come with limited lifetime warranty) as opposed to dirt-cheap stuff which often fails quicker.

DryCod

DryCod

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks, Neil. I think I will take your advice and pick up a complete, pre-tested system. If I value the time I have wasted trying to grind the rust off this thing, I could have purchased a couple of second-tier "new" machines.

In the meantime, I am thinking of trying to get this one loaded and running with Linux, just for fun. I tried burning a CD from the web but could not get it to work, so I paid $3 and bought a CD copy of Ubantu. Can this be loaded directly to a machine that does not already have an OS? Is it any different loading drivers, etc?

Thanks,
DryCod