Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

File Opening Problem

• Please log in to reply

PaintTheCanvas

PaintTheCanvas

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Alright, when I open my files, It always redirects me to "seach".
I have to right-click and click on open to even open the majority of my folders. This trend is only evident in certain areas, such as the inners of My Document. If I double click on My Document it doesn't happen but if I click on My Pictures, than it sends me to search.
Anyone know how to fix this? I have a feeling it's the most obvious thing but I can't seem to figure it out.
Oh also, when I right-click, Search is bolded and open isn't. I noticed when a certain word is bolded on the right-click , the way the folder opens is dependant on that. ANyways, thanks for any help.

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
  • Select Folder Options from the Tools menu in My Computer or Explorer, and click the File Types tab.
  • Highlight the desired file type, and click Advanced.
  • Here, you can specify a new name for this file type (to be listed in the type column in Explorer), as well as the default icon for files of this type.
  • In the box entitled Actions, is a list of the customizable context menu items. The bold item is the default (the action carried out when you double-click on a file of this type).
  • You can add new items, change the default action, and remove unwanted items here. For new items, simply specify the program with which you want the action caried out.

www.annoyances.org

Post back if that doesn't do the trick.

Johanna

PaintTheCanvas

PaintTheCanvas

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks alot, that is the problem but I don't know how to fix it.
When I try to add a new command, I dont know what I would need to type to have the open option.
I have file and file folder. Files default is open but file folders options dont have "open". It only has open command window here and search. I tried to add open, I used microsofts help, but I can't find a list of actions or how to add "open" into my changes.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Please right click this LINK, choose SAVE LINK AS or SAVE TARGET AS, and save it somewhere on your computer where you will remember where it is located. Then find the file on your computer and double-click it to run it. Click YES to the warning: Are you sure you want to add the information in FILE LOCATION HERE\folderopenssearch.reg to the registry? Then reboot your computer and once rebooted, try opening a folder.

Fenor

PaintTheCanvas

PaintTheCanvas

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Wow, it worked. Thanks alot, i'm very grateful.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Thanks for posting back with how you solved your problem. (Thank you, Fenor- spent an hour yesterday looking through KK and got distracted! LOL)
Johanna