Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP wont let me remove BitDefender

• Please log in to reply

theBoar

theBoar

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
Hello,
I recently tried to uninstall my BitDefender, however during the uninstall my windows xp froze and and i forced to manually restart my computer half way through the uninstall. When i rebooted I went back into control panel to try and finish the uninstall but BitDefender was no long in Add/Remove programs. So i went into the program file to see if I could uninstall it from there but when i try it tells me that the program is not installed and i need to install it first. So when i try and re-install the program i get a message saying that BitDefender is already installed and i need to uninstall it before i re-install :whistling: . As it stands right now i am able to run BitDefender but its not fully funcional. How can i uninstall it??

Advertisements

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
does the program show in program files try deleting it there or using hijack this remove it from there if it shows up theres a chance you uninstall but just some pieces left behind

Edited by rushin1nd, 28 October 2006 - 12:15 PM.

theBoar

theBoar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
yes the 'program files' folder still excists in C: drive. You say delete it, but will that remove it from my registry also?? And what is hijack???

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you open the Bit Defender folder in programme files, there should be a log file, that is what holds it up

Move the Bit Defender folder to My Documents and reboot

EsoxLucius

EsoxLucius

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I could help you in some way but only if you can tell me what version of BD are you using.
BD has some known uninstalling issues but in versions lower than 9, if that's your case here some usefull material for you:

SOLUTION:

The recommended method to remove BitDefender 9 Internet Security is to uninstall it using the Modify, Repair or Uninstall wizard. Additional methods to uninstall BitDefender 9 Internet Security include restoring the computer to an earlier time, using the stand-alone uninstall tool, and removing it manually.
Restoring the computer to an earlier time

This method applies only to users of Windows XP. Using the System Restore you can restore the Windows XP operating system to a state previous to BitDefender 9 Internet Security's installation.
Using the stand-alone uninstall tool

If you use an operating system without the System Restore feature, you can use the stand-alone uninstall tool. Download the uninstall tool and double-click the BitDefender_Uninstall_Tool.EXE file. Follow the steps and restart the computer. http://www.bitdefender.com/files/KnowledgeBase/file/BitDefender_Uninstall_Tool.EXE

Removing manually BitDefender 9 Internet Security

The advanced users can remove manually BitDefender 9 Internet Security:

1. Download, install and run the Windows Install Clean Up software. http://kb.bitdefender.com/files/KnowledgeBase/file/msicuu2.exe

After installing Windows Install Clean Up, click Start, Programs, then Windows Install Clean Up. Select BitDefender 9 Internet Security from the Installed Products list and click Remove. Click OK to start removing the Windows Install registry keys specific to BitDefender 9 Internet Security.
   2. Delete the registry keys specific to BitDefender's components.

The registry is a vital operating system's configuration database. To open Windows Registry Editor click Start, then Run, and type in the command: regedit Press Ok to start Windows Registry Editor.

Editing the registry can have important consequences that might prevent the system from starting and require reinstalling the operating system. Modify only the registry keys presented in this document.

Each slash in the descriptions below represents a level in the registry hierarchy. In order to unfold the current level and advance to the next level, double-click the name (ex. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE) or use the right arrow on your keyboard when the current level is already selected. To fold it up double-click the name again, or use the left arrow on your keyboard.

Go to the registry key:
		  * HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
	  and delete the values BDMCon, BDNewsAgent, BDOESRV, BDSwitchAgent.

Delete the registry keys:
		  * HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\bdss
		  * HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\FILESpy
		  * HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\REGSpy
		  * HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LIVESRV
		  * HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\VSSERV
		  * HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\XCOMM
		  * HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Softwin

Close Windows Registry Editor when finished.
   3. Unregister the BitDefender Shell Extension.

Click Start, then Run and type in the command:
	  regsvr32 /u "%ProgramFiles%\Softwin\BitDefender9\bdshelxt.dll"

where %ProgramFiles% represents the local path to the Program Files folder (default: C:\Program Files).
   4. Unregister the antispam modules for Microsoft Outlook and Outlook Express.

Run the command:
	  regsvr32 /u "%ProgramFiles%\Softwin\BitDefender9\bdo.dll"

where %ProgramFiles% represents the local path to the Program Files folder (default: C:\Program Files).
   5. Uninstall BitDefender Firewall NDIS filter driver.

In order to uninstall BitDefender Firewall NDIS open Network Connections, right-click the Local Area Connection, and click Properties. In the list This connection uses the following items:, select BitDefender Firewall NDIS filter and click Uninstall. Click OK when finished.

Alternatively, you can run the commands:
	  "%CommonProgramFiles%\Softwin\BitDefender Firewall\snetcfg.exe" -u ms_Bdfndisf "%CommonProgramFiles%\Softwin\BitDefender Firewall\snetcfg.exe" -u ms_BdfndisfMP

where %CommonProgramFiles% represents the local path to the Common Files folder (default: C:\Program Files\Common Files).
   6. Unistall BitDefender Firewall TDI filter driver.

Run the command:
	  "%CommonProgramFiles%\Softwin\BitDefender Firewall\driverctrl.exe" -uninstall bdftdif

where %CommonProgramFiles% represents the local path to the Common Files folder (default: C:\Program Files\Common Files).
   7. Restart the computer.
   8. Delete all BitDefender files, folders, and shortcuts.

Delete BitDefender 9 Internet Security files from the following locations:
		  * %AllUsersProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\BitDefender 9\

where %AllUsersProfile% represents the local path to the All Users folder (default: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users).
		  * %ProgramFiles%\Softwin\

* %CommonProgramFiles%\Softwin\

* %windir%\system32\sockspy.dll

where %windir% represents the path to the Windows folder (default: C:\Windows).
		  * %windir%\system32\xcomm.dll

Hope this will help you, and I'm curious if it worked... it did for me :whistling:

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Also check the Windows Registry for any leftover 'bitdefender' entries and keys (use the 'find' tool in Registry Editor (regedit.exe). Bitdefender may be looking in there and finding entries which mislead it into thinking it's already installed.