Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Odd start up BSoD

• Please log in to reply

Lorddias

Lorddias

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Alright so this is whats going on, everytime I go to load Windows xp, it shows the windows xp loading logo, then quickly flashes a BSoD and instantly restarts, I cant even read the BSoD. Now what makes this so Odd, is because I got the pc from a friend. Since its like 5 billion times better then this one I decided to give it a shot. He said suddenly windows just stopped loading (doing the BSoD). So I thought oh he might have screwed up his OS or something. So I took out his HD and put mine in it, same exact thing happens. So it cant be the HD, or Win Xp load.. I took out ram, and put totally different ram in, same thing. I flashed his BIOS, and same thing happens. I took out the sound card, same thing. I could really use some help, I searched everywhere, Thanks.

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
Hi Lorddias
Can you open the Case and check the capacitors
Below is a link to a picture of what we are looking for.
Bad Capacitors
You need to check the whole board.
Cheers
Peterm

Lorddias

Lorddias

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Thanks for that. I popped it open and looked at the capacitors, and they all look fine, none of them look like the ones in that picture. None are bent, broke off, and I dont see any scratches or cracks in the motherboard.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
Is the fan on the cpu working?
has he played with the cpu at all?
When you put a cpu in you must have a thermal paste between the cpu and the heat sink. Although I would expect it to get a little further before overheating.

Lorddias

Lorddias

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
The fan works, both the fan in the power supply and a fan thats connected to it on the inside. I took the heat sink off myself to see if that was the case, but there was no thermal paste between the cpu and the heatsink. I could see that there was some there, I could see a ring of it from where it would be on the processer to touch the heatsink. I took out the processor myself and made sure it some of the prongs were not all screwed and they was fine. However there was no thermal paste. I did turn it on though and let it run for a while restarting over and over and the heat sink didnt really get all that hot, and the fan did keep the heatsink quite cool.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
When you boot try the Pause/Break button on the BSOD
Can you pause the system?

Lorddias

Lorddias

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I tried that, I hit the pause button like 20 times when it flashed but I couldnt get it. I'll try again later since I only tried it once, I'm pretty curious to see what error I got. Even if I cant get it, I'll let it run over and over and write down what parts of the error I get untill I get it all, I'll post again here later once I do got the error. But thanks alot for attempting to help me. If I ever get the chance I'll definitly donate some blood.

Edited by Lorddias, 28 October 2006 - 02:40 PM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
Can you unplug all the extra cards & usb devices printers etc.
use only 1 piece of ram and try changing the ram slot it could be a fault on the board ram slot