Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Networking btw win98 and winxp

• Please log in to reply

kooladi

kooladi

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have two systems running win98 and winxp. I tried to connect them in a network using a cross-coupled wire. However, nothing seems to be working.
I list my problem and specs.

One system running win98 :
ip address: 192.168.0.2
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: I dont know what to put here
DNS server: same problem as with gateway.

Other system running winxp(which also has Internet connection which I want to share)
ip address: 192.168.0.1
subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.0.1
DNS server: 192.168.0.1

The problem when I do ipconfig in winxp, it just shows "Media Disconnected" and the two computer icon in my taskbar never shows the network connected.
I installed a software FreshDiagonse which outputs information about your system on both my systems.
It shows proper Network Configuration and Ip addresses in win 98 system but in winxp system, it shows the ip as 127.0.0.1 (the default one) and in Network Resources, it states that the Network is not properly configured or there is an error in it while the same head in win98 shows Computer name, Share points etc.

What Have I done:
1) I have named my win98 as pc2 and my winxp as pc1 making them part of the same workgroup NETSONIC.
2) I have a user by my name and some password in winxp, I have duplicated the same login information in win98 also.
3) My win98 has a NIC by Realtech and winxp has SIS 900 PCI FAST ETHERNET ADAPTER.
4) Installed TCP/IP in win98 and enabled NetBIOS over TCP in winxp

and yes the FreshDiagnose software shows both the computers as "Attached to Network : YEs"

Really Aprreciate your help.

Advertisements

chicagotech

chicagotech

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
there are many issues here.

1. the default gateway should be the NIC or router/modem connect to the internet.
2. the DNS should be your ISP DNS.
3. Media Disconnected, visit this page for the troubleshooting, http://www.chicagote...isconnected.htm

kooladi

kooladi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I am just trying to get two computers connected to each other. Forget abt Internet Connection. What will be the DNS and gateway settings then.