Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Faulty Router or PC

• Please log in to reply

carlalwalker

carlalwalker

• Pip
  • 7 posts
iv had 3 different routers now and they've all done the same thing so im beginning to think its something im doing wrong. i set up a network for 2 computers and my laptop and it all works fine for about 3 or 4 days sometimes longer and then it justs goes wrong.

they seem to stop giving me ip addresses and i can no longer get a default gateway using command prompt or acces the routers homepage.

the adsl light and lan lights are all still on the only light that isnt is the wan light.

im using windows xp and currently a dlink wireles router but this has happened with previous routers too.

iv been on the phone for hours to dlink and they couldnt help me so please can someone give me a clue!!!!!!

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi. Have you tried resetting the router and modem? (unplug power)

carlalwalker

carlalwalker

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
yes i have rebooted by unplugging power have also tried reseting it with a paper clip in the back but that doesnt seem to do anything

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
Do all the computers lose access, or just one? If all, it sounds like your modem is frying your routers.
If just one, then it's a computer side issue.

carlalwalker

carlalwalker

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
must have been the router because i took it back to the shop and changed it for a belkin and thats been fine. just wondering tho can downloading a lot cause a router to stop working because i looked in the event viewer and it had tcp/ip reached max limit or something

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
No, downloading has nothing to do with it. First off, why the [bleep] are you using 3 routers? Thats what switches and hubs are for. Are all 3 acting as your DHCP server and Gateway? If so, then thats why. They are broadcasting so much traffic its probably just lagging the crap outta the network.

Establish a game plan.

1. If you want to keep all 3 routers, copy down all their IP's
2. Go into each page, check to see what i mentioned above. IF they are, make sure only <b>1</b> is acting as the DHCP.
3. Check your cables. If you dont have a cable tester, try swaping out using known good cables.

That will fix your problem. Also, trying pinging all 3, as you said you may have a defective router or CAT5. Next time get switches :whistling:

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
They're not using 3 routers, they've had 3 different routers fail.

Yes, downloading can flood it out, but should not be able to cause serious damage. Downloading through peer to peer (torrents or other software) can overflow the router when you have more than a set number of simultaneous connections, depending on how much RAM the router allocates to the table (usually low on consumer end routers). Normal downloading, such as from websites, should never cause any problems.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
XP SP2 has default connections set to either 3 or 5 I believe.

What type of routers were they? Also, maybe assigning static route tables would do the trick. This would segment which part of the network is causing all the traffic by making all traffic always go a certain path.

carlalwalker

carlalwalker

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
hi thank you all for your help bought a belkin after the last time it happened twice with the d-links and it has been fine since. iv also stopped using bittorrent and just stick to general p2p software. this seems to have worked because it has been fine and hasnt even disconnected like the other used to.