Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

black...or dark blue screen after windows loads ?

• Please log in to reply

tcl71

tcl71

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi Guy's.

I'm in a real jam here,I was tring to change my ATI video card drivers back to the factory drivers,and the installation disk said it could'nt do it till I remove the current drivers.......so to make along story short,I was messing around in the display settings.....and now I get a black screen after windows loads.
I've tried running in safe mode,but it wont boot and enableing vga mode,it just boots up to black screen....I've tried everything I could think of,but it still loads up the same way every time.

As near as I can tell...it boots up like it normally would I just can't see anything.
I looked at the monitor menu and it says refresh rate is at 60/hz,not sure if thats the problem(or how to fix it)?
Any help would be a blessing.

also i'm running windows xp.

thanks
Tom

Edited by tcl71, 28 October 2006 - 07:58 PM.

Advertisements

officialblueboys

officialblueboys

• PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
Try a system restore or do a WIndow Repair
www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

tcl71

tcl71

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks officialblueboys,I'd try that but it won't let me.

I figured out the problem though,I deleted the video card drivers...and thats where the big problem starts.
I pulled the radeon 9550 out,put a GeForce 5200 out of my old cpu in and now I have it working.
So I thought I would install the ATI drivers from the CD put the 9550 back in and go from there...but same problem,nothing but black screen.
Basically the whole problem is,the 9550 won't send the information to the monitor with out a driver.
I guess I don't know how it can be done?I don't have an option to plug the monitor into the motherboard so I can see what I'm doing....and then install the drivers.

There is a spot to jumper something by where the cooling fan plugs in on the video card,maybe bypass mode?...I didn't want to burn it up to find out.

Can't believe I'm the first dummy to do this,but I can't find any thing on it

So any help would be greatly appreciated :whistling:

Thanks
Tom