Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Touchpad - Short Cursor Movement

• Please log in to reply

fsamimi

fsamimi

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi,

I love this site!! I have an IBM ThinkPad T41p with a built in IBM UltraNav touchpad. I'm running Windows XP Professional. My problem is that finger movements on my touchpad correspond to cursor movements that are way too short.

In other words, imagine my cursor starts on the bottom left corner of my screen (the laptop's screen - I don't have an external monitor hooked up or anything like that). I place my finger on the bottom left corner of the touchpad. I now move my finger on the touchpad from the bottom left corner of the touchpad up to the top left corner of the touchpad. If I move my finger very quickly, the cursor only moves up a little less than 1/3 of the full height of the screen! If I move my finger slowly, the cursor only moves up a little less than a 1/5 of the screen!! My screen's height is about 8 1/2".

I tried fiddling with the cursor movement sensitivities in Control Settings, but the UltraNav doesn't seem to have this capability (all you can do is make it more sensitive to taps, but the movement doesn't change). This seems like a minor issue, but it can be real pain and seriously slow you down when you're trying to work fast on the laptop and need to jump around the screen a lot. I don't have this problem with the mice I use - just with the touchpad (regardless of whether a mouse is plugged in or not).

I'd appreciate any advice? Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

02rja

02rja

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
erm, go to

control panel -> mouse -> pointer options -> motion (pointer speed)

and use the slider to choose your preferance.

if that doesnt help then id suggest just buying a mouse, they arent expensive and it saves frustration.

sorry for the rather braindead response

Edited by 02rja, 29 October 2006 - 10:24 AM.

fsamimi

fsamimi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
No - it definitely wasn't a braindead response. For some reason there was no Pointer Options tab in Control Panel -> Mouse Properties when I had my mouse plugged in. I kind of mentioned that in my first post (how there was no option to change cursor speed in Control Panel). But then I left my mouse unplugged all night last night and this morning I rechecked the Mouse Properties and the Pointer Options tab was there. Go figure. I guess the mouse was somehow overriding the usual Control Panel -> Mouse Properties window settings. I had unplugged the mouse on prior occassions, but not for more than a few minutes. I guess the computer just needed a little more time to reset the defaults. Whatever - problem's solved. Thanks!