Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Problem loading XP onto a Seagate 7200.10

• Please log in to reply

GazzaT

GazzaT

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi all,

I am building the following system:

ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe
AMD Athlon 64 x2 4400 2.2 Ghz Dual Core
PNY Quadro FX560 128MB PCIe Graphics Card
3 x Seagate Barracuda 250Gb 7200.10
2 x Kingston 1Gb RAM (KVR400X64C3A/1G)
Plextor DVD RW SATA (PX-755SA)
Aspire X-Cruise
Antec 500W Smartpower 2.0
Window XP Pro (full box version + SP2)

Long story short, I have been working on this for several months now without success. I have been through all of the support systems, swapped the mobo for new, tested the RAM, Graphics card, spent 3 plus hrs on the phone with Seagate, 1 hour plus with Microsoft. Currently Microsoft senior support are waiting for Seagates senior supports results in trying to sort this out and Seagate are trying to get an answer from ASUS (Who I have to say have the worst support network I have ever had the mispleasure of dealing with!)

The problem at the moment is loading XP Pro. I have 1 SATA Disc connected to one of the Nvidia (SATA 3.0) connector on the mobo and the Plextor connected to to one of the Silicon Image (SATA 1.5) connetors on the mobo. I have the drivers from the ASUS websight for both the Silicon (1 driver) and Nvidia (2 drivers) and when using the XP disc, I press F6 and load all three. These are described as RAID drivers. Windows detects the drive, formats with a single partition. When the system reboots, I get a POST followed by a choice of OS's to loae (all are XP Pro!) but then it quickly defults to a black screen with a script saying the the system could not start due to a system configuration problem. I have tried various settings in the BIOS/CMOS under the guidence of Microsoft engineers without any success.

I have been waiting over a week for Seagate to get back to me.

I wondered if anyone else was aware of a any major issues loading XP Pro onto a Seagate 7200.10 or if anyone can see a solution here?

Edited by GazzaT, 29 October 2006 - 05:13 AM.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Are you trying to use all three drives, with 3 drives it unlikely to be a problem with the hard drive, what i would do is grab a linux disk and try that to see if you can boot a live CD, if you cant then its a HDD or sata problem.

I havent heard of any problems with the HDDs in particular, however the motherboard LOTS of problems tonnes of people have had problems with that board. I would also only use one SATA controller at a time.

GazzaT

GazzaT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Thanks for the reply.

I am trying to just load the OS onto one hard disc. I have tried this with all three discs individually with the same symptoms. I dont think its a hard disc problem. As for using only one SATA controller at a time, I did try loading the system with both the Plextor and the Seagate connected to the Silicon controller with the jumper in the hard disc to enable SATA 1.5. Same thing. The only clue I have been given thus far is that Windows needs a driver for the Seagate as apposed to RAID drivers. I await Seagate's response from ASUS on that one!

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
Generally, that's a problem with the nvidia SATA drivers, and it's a royal pain to get it running properly. I managed to find a driver pack that works (sometimes), but only if I have my SATA drive connected to what the machine ID's as IDE channels 3 or 4 (939 nforce boards tend to assign sata ports ide identifiers, for some reason). Try using the nvraid installation disk for your OS listed here:
http://www.abit-usa....ct_name=KN8 SLI
For some reason, Abit's nforce SATA drivers work really well.

GazzaT

GazzaT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Thanks Kurenai, I have downloaded them and am giving it a go now. I'll post the results. :whistling:

GazzaT

GazzaT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Kurenai, thanks for the tip.

I went to the link you gave, downloaded the file " NvRaid Installation Disk for Microsoft Windows 2000/XP/2003", made a disc and "F6'd" the two relevant drivers. I completely re-formatted the drive and loaded XP. When it got to the point where setup restarts the pc and continues with setup, the pc just starts the hole process of trying to load windows, which unless I F6 drivers, simply finnishes in a BSOD!

Thanks anyway.

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
I had the same thing happen when I tried to reinstall a couple of days ago. I gave up. Stupid nforce chipset.

GazzaT

GazzaT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi all, just to finish this one off......

After two ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxes and no joy getting an operating system on any hard drive, I was upgraded to an ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe. Apparently they no longer make the former board! After some messing with which SATA conection to plug into, I did manage to get the system set up as I wanted with a system drive and two further drives set in a RAID 0.

I have to say that although ASUS have a very good name in the market, if you are unfortunate enough to end up with a faulty product they have the worst support I have ever seen and with a little google research you will see that I am not alone in this opinion.

Thanks again all that helped with this problem. :whistling: