Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Post OS reinstall problems URGENT

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

02rja

02rja

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
Hello, i have just reinstalled windows XP Professional on my main computer but after the reinstall i am stuck.. i havent got any of the CDs for the hardware on my computer, and i cant connect to the internet (on my network) because i havent installed the drivers on for the network card (which i cant)

also very worryingly, i cant access my second harddrive although the device manager says its working properly and i know that is connected because it is listed on startup (and on the harware list) it just doesnt appear under My Computer.

um.. some other info about the drive
labelled X: 160GB
When i reinstalled windows i did it on C only, so X should be intact
Under the device manager it says that the drive is installed and working - the drvers are up to date and there isnt a yellow ? next to is
This drive had all of my data on and i really REALLY could do with not losing it... :blink:

Does anyone know where i can start :whistling:

ps. this computer is another computer, not the one that i have just reinstalled windows on

Thanks

Rollo

Edited by 02rja, 29 October 2006 - 07:25 AM.

Advertisements

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
doesn't sont right but microsoft doesn't make sounds.

-1st I would try 2 boot the comp with only the main drive. c that all is ok.

-shut down and reconect maybe on a different ide cable and without cd.
(maybe u had 2 drives that had the same map (letter)

-what about downloading driver on you'r good computer and trasfer it by DOK or cd?

02rja

02rja

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
okay, i dont see how there could be a problem with the same letter, or IDE because it was working a few hours ago before i did the reinstall.

i think i had the same problem when i originally installed the HDD but i cant remember hwo i got round it. I might try using it on another computer and see what happens.

I just want to keep all of my stuff *scared*

cheers

also, i would transfer the drivers but i dont know what ones to get (for the network card) on the device manager it just comed up as um.. ethernet hub or something

Edited by 02rja, 29 October 2006 - 08:18 AM.

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
open the computer and look at the networkcard and the name of the company and model are on it.

about disconnecting it sometimes helps and works itself out.
allso try and download the mb drivers it may help detect you'r hd.
if it is an old comp they sometimes need help with large disks.

02rja

02rja

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
woah weird deja vu, swore ive read that before

anyhow, ill get the drivers in a sec, then ill try reconnecting it. what are mb drivers (what does mb stand for)

thanks

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
I've seen so many short words... I thought I was the only one who doesn't understand.
mb-> motherboard

-c if u can find the drivers for it .

and when its all over... burn a disk with all the drivers -> It'll save a lot of "wasted" time

02rja

02rja

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
oh yeah cource, sorry i didnt see it

Okay i will, i also noticed that the hard drive only shows up in device manager, not in system information.

im in the process of getting ym [bleep]edup computer online now so that should sepeed things up, im having to unplug each computer in order to access this forum :whistling:

this really is a bad day...

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
I got 2 leave work now
I'll see how its going a bit later

02rja

02rja

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
okay

i have found that my network adapter is something to do with

RAS Async
and WAN miniport

i have no idea what either of these mean if anyone could help that would be great

Edited by 02rja, 29 October 2006 - 08:58 AM.

02rja

02rja

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
i got the drivers for my HDD

it says i can add it, but it will create partitions which will delete evrything ont he drive. when i read this i was nearly sick (yes i am sad) well no, but thats like 100GB of everything i have deleted.

I havent done that yet thank god, is there any way to get whats on the drive off it? and if so how, or even better, can i use the dri9ve without formatting it. i hate this, why did i have to reinstall.

thanks

Edited by 02rja, 29 October 2006 - 10:05 AM.

Advertisements

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
about the network adapter if u know your internet settings then u can
ignore the wisard and do it manually.
It should b the same as you'r second comp.

About the HD it should not b formatted.
There is no reason.
U can try 2 things
-1 - connect it 2 another computer and all should b well
-2 - boot the computer without it and the reconect it.
makeshure that the disk managment see's the whole disk and is not limited to 100GB

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
r u now on the comp. that u r fixing?

02rja

02rja

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
no im not, i cant get the internet working on the other one

the situation is im in a rented house and im just plugging an ethernet cable into my neighbours router for the internet, i didnt need any setting up to do - once its plugged in it should just ..work, but it doesnt, because of the network adapeter or something

ill try reconnecting, but how do i netermine whether that it sees the whole disk?

thanks

02rja

02rja

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
i just need to find a screw driver...

it should work on this computer because it was in it at some point. i hope i havent formatted it accidently because i started the add hard drive wizard by wester digital (makers of my hard drive) but i cancelled it imediately as it was about to "erase data"

02rja

02rja

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
i cant find a goddamn screwdriver, im guna have to go out and get one.

be back in about 5-10mins