Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can you use a second hard drive without formatting it?

• Please log in to reply

02rja

02rja

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
i have recently reinstalled windows and i have kept my second hard drive intact.

I cannot access this drive although it appears on the device manager and when i am booting up my computer. i know that it is installed and all of the data on it should be intact.

All i want is to be able to access this drive without repartitionaing/formatting it. can it be that hard? If it can be that hard is there ANY other way of getting my data off it.

this is turning out to be a very bad day...

i appreciate all of your help

oh and please dont take the contemplating suicide statement literally..

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I tried the method on this website and saved a lot of data off a borked drive for a friend. Afterwards we just repartitioned and formatted the drive with utilities from the drive makers website( WD diagonistic utilities).

http://www.shockfami...cedric/knoppix/

SRX660

02rja

02rja

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
Thanks so much! sorry its taken me years to reply, but it looks like im having the same problem again...

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
It may be a permissions problem. You probably need to claim ownership of the files on the drive. You need to go to Administrative Tasks to do that. One thing you should do before you make any changes is to scan it for viruses. You may have to gain ownership before you can do that.