Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Random Disconnects but connection fine!

• Please log in to reply

molesses

molesses

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
I've been trying to solve this problem for months now!

my computer randomly seems to disconnects from my cable connection. there are 3 computers on my lan, made from a router (wired) . the other computers don't seem to disconnect. I called my ISP and they say the connection is fine, after i had a random disconnect I check my network settings and see that my internet connection never failed. I got a new router and I still have the problem, i've reseted everything (starting with cable modem, then router, then boot my pc) still I have problems.

I've check my computer countless times for any spyware/adware or viruses and everything is up to date and appears clean.

everyone I've talked to is clueless on how to solve this issue.

its been driving me nuts since I can't play my online games

anyone plz help!!!

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi. Have you tried resetting the modem?

molesses

molesses

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
yes, I restarted everything, the modem, the router, and my pc.. I said that on my first post, maybe I should have had that bolded or something?

molesses

molesses

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
any chance this could be related to my networking card? it came with the computer when i bought it. can you update drivers for ethernet cards? if you can i don't know how to do it, i'm will to try anything at this point.

thanks!

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Hello molesses and welcome to G2G, :whistling:

my computer randomly seems to disconnects from my cable connection.

How often?

there are 3 computers on my lan, made from a router (wired) . the other computers don't seem to disconnect.

Lets see if they do or do not. Follow these steps for every computer connected to the internet:
Meaning as soon as the test is started on the first computer go to the second computer and start the test on it as well, as sson as it started on the second computer go to the third computer and start the test on it.. and so forth

Click on Start
Click on Run
Type in: cmd or command depending on the operating system
This will open a Black screen. From Here type in: ping 66.210.130.10 -l 32 -n 5000
This will start giving you scrolling replies that look like this:
2.JPG
Let this go until it is done and looks like this: (May take a long time)
3.JPG
Copy donw the red underlined areas for each pc and pst them back (make sure to label the replies for each pc)

molesses

molesses

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
The lag is very random, sometimes I don't get it other times it happens constantly, for example I could play CS:source for an hour and not have lag once, then on another day, I could play it for an hour and lag every few minutes or so, to the point where the game is unplayable. Other days it can be a bad lag that last a few minutes but I only get it every other half an hour. very random and annoying.

here are the ping test results for the pcs on my lan, I only use computer 1, everyone else told me they never notice the lag, but they don't use the internet that much.

I did run this test on all 3 computers at the same time, took about 1.5 hours

1st PC running XP

Sent = 5000
Received = 4965
Lost = 35 <0% loss>

2nd PC also running XP

Sent = 5000
Recieved = 4966
Lost = 34 <0% loss>

3rd PC running Win98 (this comp went into sleep mode and it was dead, i had to hit every key 3 times before it woud wake up - that might have something to do with the results, maybe?)

Sent = 5000
Received = 2021
Lost = 2979 <59% loss>

thanks for your help!

Edited by molesses, 30 October 2006 - 05:02 PM.

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
3rd PC running Win98 Sleep mode can cause that, so that is probably why. Lets try to up the size of the packet and see if we can max your bandwidth.

From Only PC 1:

Click on Start
Click on Run
Type in: cmd or command depending on the operating system
This will open a Black screen. From Here type in:
ping 66.210.130.10 -l 1470 -n 500

1470 is the max my router can handle so hopefully yours is the same. If you start getting alot of "Request Timed Out" right off the start, decrease the size by increments of 5 until it starts going through. This time were only running 500 pings, since we are just trying to max it out.

molesses

molesses

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
new test

pc1

sent = 500
received = 500
lost = 0 <0%>

oh i forgot to say in my last post, i was watching all 3 pcs and they all timed out at the same time.

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Ahhhh now that makes more sense..... You said you are on cable correct? Please post your Modems Manufacturer and Model number...

Only If it is a Motorrola modem then complete the following:

Launch a web browser
In the address bar paste the following: http://192.168.100.1/ and then press enter
Click on the Signal Link at the top
Copy down everything it says for the Downstream and Upstream categories <Reply 1>
Click on the Logs Link at the top
Under the Message Column see if there are any entries for "T3" or T4" time-outs
<Reply2>

molesses

molesses

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
reply 1)

Downstream Value
Frequency 591000000 Hz
Signal to Noise Ratio 33 dB
QAM QAM256
Network Access Control Object ON
Power Level 15 dBmV The Downstream Power Level reading is a snapshot taken at the time this page was requested. Please Reload/Refresh this Page for a new reading

Upstream Value
Channel ID 1
Frequency 33000000 Hz
Ranging Service ID 217
Symbol Rate 2.560 Msym/s
Power Level 51 dBmV

reply 2)

Time Priority Code Message
2006-11-01 17:48:50 3-Critical R02.0 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out

thats the only time-out but the log isn't that big, it only saves so many logs and the rest are lost.

thanks for your help

Advertisements

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Downstream Signal to Noise Ratio 33 dB - This is good... you dont get packet loss till around 38 or higher.

Upstream Power Level 51 dBmV - This is OK... you dont start losing connectivity till 56 or higher.

Having one or two T3 timeouts are normal so it shows no problem there as well.

Your cable connection shows to be ok, so the only thing left that ties all three pc's together would be the router. Try to either get another router or even remove the router (temporarily) for a day or two and see if the problem goes away.

molesses

molesses

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
well, its like this.... I have a linksys router, and its new. I got this new router because I thought my old router was breaking down, and well getting a new router didn't solve the problem.

the router I'm currently using is only 3 months old and I started having this problem like 4 months ago. do I need to update anything with the router, any kind of drivers or anything? if so I didn't know about it.

thanks

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Check with linksys and see if they have a newer firmware, but if your router is only three months old they most likely will not.

molesses

molesses

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Yeah, the firmware on the router was 1/05 on it and I just updated it to the lastest version which was on 9/06 so i'm gonna go test this out, if you want should I do that ping test again?

Update: the problem is not solved but firmware is updated...

Edited by molesses, 03 November 2006 - 06:06 PM.

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Yeh i didnt figure it would be... Firmware updates generally dont cure problems like this...

Can you put the problem pc on just the modem, without the router and see if the problem is still happening?