Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BIOS problem?

• Please log in to reply

drlovemoose

drlovemoose

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
I have a dell dimension and when I start it I get the following message- "Invalid Configuration Information-Please run SETUP program.
"Performing automatic IDE configuration press F1 to continue F2 for setup." Once I click F1 i get the same message. When I go into SETUP it does not detect the HD or cd-rom. It says not installed and everything is set to Auto detect. Thank you

Advertisements

drlovemoose

drlovemoose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
Could this be a battery problem?

Neodude103

Neodude103

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Possibly, how long have you had the computer before, is it pre-built? If it is then there shouldn't be a shortage of wattage so then that would be out of the question, unless you upgraded some of the components.

Did you recently take off the lid and do anything with the computer? Did you have any other problems with the computer before this?

drlovemoose

drlovemoose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
No problems before. This is a dell desktop. I have not done anything to it.

Neodude103

Neodude103

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Go to your Bios settings, different manufacturers have different ways of getting to it, I'd say to try F8 or F12 when booting up, from there you should be able to change the order configuration of the boot process

Let's say you have a floppy drive, cd rom drive and a hard drive, it should list all three of these in a certain order to boot up. Make sure that the Hard drive is the cd rom drive is the first thing to boot, then the hard drive.

If you don't see any list of things to boot up then your motherboard is not recieving a signal from any of these sources, either a wire is a bad or most likely something came out a bit. Check to see that all your cables are snuggled in correctly. If not then the next thing I would recommend is a motherboard reset.

drlovemoose

drlovemoose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
how do you do a motherboard reset?

Neodude103

Neodude103

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
You can do it a couple ways, either select load defaults in the Bios Display, change the jumpers or something else.

A quick search on google will do ya some good, I found http://www.dewassoc....os_password.htm

drlovemoose

drlovemoose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
I cannot find the option to load the setings to default in the BIOS. I have a dell dimension

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
While you have the case open, make sure all your cables are connected properly. If only a partition of the cables are plugged in ,you wont boot.