Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Call of Duty MP Problem and CS Problem

• Please log in to reply

ikswobeL0

ikswobeL0

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi GTG, I have a question about a problem in Call of Duty multiplayer. I can join and play in a non-Punkbuster server for as long as I want. If I join a Punkbuster server, I can play for about, 2 minutes, and then my computer will freeze so I have to manually turn it off. I was wondering if you had a solution to this problem. I've tried updating the PB files, and it still won't work. Also, I don't have any hacks, so that isn't the reason why it's doing this. I've heard about this happening before, but there wasn't a solution.

My graphics card is a ATi Xtasy 9200 SE 128MB PCI. My OS is Windows XP Home Edition. I believe I have the latest driver installed for my graphics card.

Also, in Counter-Strike 1.6 and Day of Defeat, whenever I move around, it's either delayed or really "blocky". I did change the rate before to 9999, but I'm not sure if that's the reason why it's doing that. It's never been like this, and it is really hard to play. It isn't lag, because my ping is usually under 90 whenever I'm playing, yet it will still be delayed/blocky.

Thank you in advance, and I hope you have some sort of solution to these problems. :tazz:

Advertisements

ikswobeL0

ikswobeL0

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Also, I'm not sure if my driver is the latest version or not.

http://www.visiontek.com

That is the site for my Xtasy graphics card. I have the latest driver on THAT site, but not the latest driver on http://www.ati.com

Xtasy graphics cards are made by ATi, so should I install the one on the ATi site, or keep the one on the VisionTek site?

Another thing I wanted to mention is that when I first got my graphics card, I had a different driver than I do now, and it came in a CD. It was called Catalyst. A month ago or so, I reformatted my computer and now the driver is different. I'm not sure if it's older or newer, since I lost my CD and I just got the driver off of http://www.visiontek.com, and I'm still using it. When I used the driver that came with the graphics card, I didn't have this problem with Call of Duty. Now, after reformatting my computer and using a different driver (older or newer, I don't know), it's having that problem in Call of Duty.

So I just need to know, should I keep the latest driver I have on VisionTek or get the latest driver on ATi?

Again, thanks in advance.

ikswobeL0

ikswobeL0

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Windows 2K/XP Display Driver 8.072 Cat 4.11
Date: 01/27/05

This is the latest driver on VisionTek, I just noticed that they updated it. I still use an older version from 11/17/04. I'm going to update now. I'll give feedback to whether the Call of Duty problem is still going on, and I'd also like to know if I should still get the latest driver on http://www.ATi.com

And I can't find the "Edit" button, so sorry about posting three times in a row.

Thanks.

ikswobeL0

ikswobeL0

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Bump, and it still has the problem, does anyone know the problem? :tazz:

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
This is the executable for Punkbusters Client side AUTO UPDATING using WINDOWS Operating Systems:
http://www.evenbalan...loads/pbweb.exe

Be sure to save the pbweb.exe into the home "pb" folder (C:\Program Files\Call of Duty\pb) on your hard drive and then launch PBWEB.exe. If PBWEB is not launched from inside the home "pb" directory/folder, then it will not work.

This is the easiest way to AUTO update Punkbusters from the player/client side. The game server does NOT update ALL of your game files. This way will do that for you!

I would recommend doing this even if your not having problems or if your having 999 problems along with No Packet Flow errors & PB Initialization Failures.

This can take a little while to run........this is typical!

This should solve your problem. If it doesn't let me know.

Thanks,
Starjax

ikswobeL0

ikswobeL0

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
It works now! Thanks Starjax! :tazz:

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
glad to hear that. Just keep in mind that you will need to run pbweb.exe on a regular basis. I actually run that at least once a week.

Starjax