Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer shuts down if not used

• Please log in to reply

steviek

steviek

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Recently, I have added net frames to the system to allow a news service to operate. Since that time, if I don't use the computerr it shuts down. I prefer to have my computer on 24h--with screen saver. There has beena change but not sure how to fix it. Also, closing the news service doesn't help the system still shuts down. I tried to change the control panel power settings, but that alo did not work. I'm using XP Professional. Any help appreciated.!!!

Regards

Steve

Advertisements

CJIS

CJIS

• PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
This could be due to a lot of reasons, your processor fan may stop causing your computer to shut down. Some newer computers decide that if they are unused for so many hours they will just shut off. You may have a dodgy power supply. I could probably go on for a while. I don't know why installing Net Frames would cause a problem though.

Edited by CJIS, 29 October 2006 - 03:34 PM.

steviek

steviek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Interesting, when I changed users, the computer did not shut off. so something has changed in my profile to caue the computer to shut off. Not sure what that is though??? could it be a virus???