Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Applications using too much memory

• Please log in to reply

digikiwi

digikiwi

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Hi geeksters,

1) My computer is always short on RAM. I have 1GB but applications seem to use an inordinate amount of RAM.
For example Firefox alone uses 130 MB. That's just not right.

2) I also experience little dead moments when inputting text. The computer goes into little mini-freezes for a few seconds and then the text appears.

3) Windows explorer is often slow and sluggish too, especially in bringing up the right click context menu.

who__s_eating_my_RAM.jpg
who__s_eating_my_RAM2.jpg

These screenshots of task manager give an idea of the memory problem.

I run NOD32 and Spysweeper for my security apps (and also Spywaredoctor).

What other information can I provide to make helping me possible?

Advertisements

Numb Remxed

Numb Remxed

• PipPipPip
  • 493 posts
you have waaaaaay too many processes. Get rid of any stuff you dont know.

You have a gig of ram but it says you have about 100 megs of ram left. That is rediculous.

First thing's first, get ccleaner: http://www.ccleaner.com/
Clean out your registry and temp files.

Next, if spysweeper and spy doctor has active scan, get rid of those. Those are extra processes that nod32 should cover. Also, get rid of any memory optimizer you have. Those never work.

To lower the amount of startup processes you have running go to: http://www.processlibrary.com/ to look each process up. And then use Spybot S&D's advanced tools to dissable those start up processes.

Finally, defragment your hard drive.

also, read this about firefox's memory leak: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Memory_Leak

That should get you started on cleaning stuff out.

This is my task manager btw. I'm running on 512 MB or ram and I have 33 processes running. Some people I know have even less.

untitled.JPG

some basic tips: don't run too many bloated programs. 1 gig of ram is actually not that much anymore these days. Firefox, photoshop, and iTunes are all pretty much bloatware. And because you're running so many processes, you're explorer shell memory usage will go up too.

Edited by Numb Remxed, 29 October 2006 - 09:24 PM.

Kniht

Kniht

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
Am using Firefox 2 and really like it. I was one of the biggest complainers of it being a resource hog. Have been able to tame it down a bit and rarely get above 60MB in Task Manager. Of course I don't have a lot of extensions or a lot of tabs open at one time.

Right now I have 10 tabs open and am only using 45MB.

Doing some tweaks and limiting resource usage on FF 2 can be found here:

http://www.lifehacke...eaks-209941.php

digikiwi

digikiwi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Thanks for the advice. I ran CCleaner and that has given it a good colonic cleansing LOL. Now firefox is sitting at 50-60Mb and things are generally much better. Since I'm a bit of an extension freak I would expect my use to be a bit higher. So now I'm using 50% of memory but I can live with that for the moment. I'll tweak some more later when I have time.

Kniht: I'll wait for the rollout of FF2, let the early birds find the bugs, heh heh.

Cheers to you both :whistling:

Numb Remxed

Numb Remxed

• PipPipPip
  • 493 posts
firefox 2 is already out: www.mozilla.com