Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Attempted XP recovery failure

• Please log in to reply

SteveMcQ

SteveMcQ

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I've had problems with Windows locking up or restarting. It has only worsened with time and with every attempt at fixing it. I did follow the steps leading up to the Hijack this log posting, but it didn't fix anything, so I decided to try and repair Windows.

When it gets to the "Installing Windows" screen when devices are being installed, I get a prompt looking for "usbechi.sys". I don't know where to look for it and the default location in the address bar is "C:\windows\temp" but I can't find it there. What do I do? Thanks.

Advertisements

SteveMcQ

SteveMcQ

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Wanted to edit my first post, but anyway...used my laptop to find a similar file and found it. I had it point to that in the Win XP repair and it restarts the machine, but nothing boots. I just get a black screen. Now everytime I let Windows boot, it takes me straight to the Win XP set up screen and the problem of the missing usbehci file starts again. Thanks.

SteveMcQ

SteveMcQ

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Alright...new problem. I got the missing file fixed, but after that the PC restarts and my monitor goes into what seems like hibernation mode and I can't do anything. All I can do is restart again and I'm stuck doing the same thing over and over again (trying to repair XP).