Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

new gfx card

• Please log in to reply

cheema

cheema

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
what pci e x16 gfx card should i get (msi k8n neo 4 platinum non sli mobo). I had a x1900xt but it got wet and it isn't working. smoke comes off of it. Now i am not sure if the pci e x16 slot is messed up as well. If something happens to the new card will it be covered in the warranty or am i just better of getting a new mobo as well. If you recommend a new mobo should i go sli or no? Thank you for your replies.

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

what pci e x16 gfx card should i get (msi k8n neo 4 platinum non sli mobo). I had a x1900xt but it got wet and it isn't working. smoke comes off of it. Now i am not sure if the pci e x16 slot is messed up as well. If something happens to the new card will it be covered in the warranty or am i just better of getting a new mobo as well. If you recommend a new mobo should i go sli or no? Thank you for your replies.

How did the video card get wet?? Did you have watercooling? If you think that the mobo has gotten wet also then yes getting a new mobo would be a good idea.. Look on the mobo for any signs of corrosion or discoloration anywhere or on the pci express slot aswell..

I personally wouldnt get a video card any faster than what you previously had. I wouldnt even spend that much on a video card as of now because of the new directx10 coming out. Although it may be alittle bit before the dx10 architecture kicks in for games I would get a sub $200 video card to make due until directx10 video cards and the new operating system comes out. If you dont care about wasting money then by all means get whatever you want for a video card.

The nvidia 7600gt is a good all around card for really low pricing. It will play all of your games well for the price. $120-$150 at online retailers. Look at newegg.com. You cannot beat the price to performance ratio but if you want to get a faster video card get what you want like I said.

You dont necessarily need a sli mobo but if its the same price as the non sli then why not get one?

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
ps newegg has some nvidia 7900gt's running $250, $199 after rebates.. That should hit the spot and be plenty fast enough for awhile..

http://www.newegg.co.......900&Ntk=all

scroll down some until you see the cards.

cheema

cheema

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
mobo also got wet but there is no discoloration. The cpu and the ram run fine though when i turn the power on. But when i put the old discolored but dry gfx card into the pci e slot the gfx card shoots out a lil bubble of smoke. I guess I am better of not taking the risk and should be better of buying a new mobo. Any mobo' that you recommend with my setup?

P.S. Should I get 256mb of 512 mb gfx card

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

mobo also got wet but there is no discoloration. The cpu and the ram run fine though when i turn the power on. But when i put the old discolored but dry gfx card into the pci e slot the gfx card shoots out a lil bubble of smoke. I guess I am better of not taking the risk and should be better of buying a new mobo. Any mobo' that you recommend with my setup?

P.S. Should I get 256mb of 512 mb gfx card

Yeah I would definately change the motherboard in my opinion.

256mb or 512mb in which video card are you looking at it all depends..

There is nothing wrong with 256mb. Remember if you are looking at low to mid end cards just because it has 512mb its not necessarily faster than a competitors 256mb card.

cheema

cheema

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
will the dx10 gfx card (R600 supposedly by ATI) be able to fit in my pci e x16 slot or will i need to get a new mobo when the new dx10 gfx card comes out (supposedly late december or early january)? I think i might be willing to wait until then to even touch my computer because this is a very demanding semester in college and i am not able to game much at all. Thanks for your opinion/s.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

will the dx10 gfx card (R600 supposedly by ATI) be able to fit in my pci e x16 slot or will i need to get a new mobo when the new dx10 gfx card comes out (supposedly late december or early january)? I think i might be willing to wait until then to even touch my computer because this is a very demanding semester in college and i am not able to game much at all. Thanks for your opinion/s.

graphics cards are nowhere near finished using the current gen PCI-E 16x interface for now.

I herd some rumors about that card but it will be PCI-E Interface thats all I know as of now.