Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows boot problems

• Please log in to reply

awan111

awan111

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi Guys,

I am seeing a black screen on my laptop and the error is
"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\windows\system32\config\system"
"You can attempt to repair this file by starting windows setup using the original setup CD-ROM. Select'r' at the first screen to start repair "

Ufortunately i have broken my windows cd-ROM in the moving ( windows is not OEM-installed ). So, i dont have a setup CD-ROM at this point. What can i do now? Can I get a patch or something from internet which can let me in the windows and then i can follow instructions to fix registry files or recovery console.

I have tried to boot in the safe mode by pressing f8 but after some work it says again the same above stated message.
Need Help

Advertisements

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Sorry, From What I know Your going to need that CD-ROM to repair your copy of windows.

ask some of your friends to see if they have a xp pro cd lying around..

awan111

awan111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I have arranged a windows CD and set up BIOS to boot from cd. It satarts and say " press any key to boot from cd " and then couple of messages loading drivers and so forth. It stops and flashes this error

" mountmgr.sys is corrupted" , press any key to restart

and gets stuck at it again

what i can do?

Help please

awan111

awan111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Somebody please help , i want to fix i this weekend

thanks