Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Boot Drive / System Drive on Different Disks...

• Please log in to reply

foenixfortean

foenixfortean

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am an intermediate computer user, not trainded in MS-Dos but pretty comfortable within the Windows atmosphere and fairly competent at following directions...

So heres the deal, I just moved and when I reloaded my computer, my hard drives weren't working. I called my "Dell Support Team" and they had me switch the hard drive cables in my computer (I am running two 120GB hard drives) and that solved the problem?? For reasons I don't fully understand. Anyway a couple days later I got spiked with a malware off a friends USB which shut me down, THANKS, I finally got my system running again but I forgot when I was reinstalling to switch back my hard drives. So now as I enter my final stages of virus remnant removal, part of which includes reformatting all of my leftover partitions, I find that my Disk Management program won't let me reformat my C:/ drive because it is listed as (System)... My partition breakdown looks something like this.

C:Storage (120GB) (System)
G:Storage (33GB)

OK, so I can use the computer no problem, I am 95% sure the virus infection is gone. I have reinstalled my OS and all my drivers , updated everything, reinstalled all my favorite programs and am back in great working order. (whew!) Now I want to go back through and reformat/clean-out C, E, F, and G drives but 1) Windows Disk Management won't give me the option to format C: which leads me to 2) being afraid that if/when I do erase my C: drive and reformat it I will be thrown into another blue screen nightmare. (I have been at it for 3 days already, I can't afford another 3). Is there anyway to change a system disk? Any good ideas?

on a side note I already tried switching the hard drive cables back to their original settings but I get an error that sends me to setup configuration. Where (upon remembering the "help" I recieved from Dell) I click on the drive setup/configuration(?) selection and click alt+f then alt+b to find the drive and nothing gets resolved. I get sent back to the black info screen that says there is a problem (I forgot the exact terminology) regardless I can't get into windows.

Advertisements

foenixfortean

foenixfortean

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
And just on a follow-up the disk management says that all my drives are healthy... but in my McAfee quaratine folder (C:\QUARANTINE) there is still some leftover virus material that can't be erased??? Also when I was running the Trend Micro Sysclean Package I noticed a huge amount of leftover material and errors on C:\... something about nortonprotect error <<error<-94>>> (which I assume is leftover junk from Systemworks which I had installed before the big "attack"...