Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trojan found on XP

• Please log in to reply

RedfordRenegade

RedfordRenegade

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I am trying to fix a problem with my cpu at home (I'm at work right now)

2 weeks ago my modem got fried in an electrical storm so I got another one and plugged it in.

Everything went fine on startup, cpu went through its normal routine then the Install Hardware wizard kicked in and came up. It found new hardware and went through the motions of configuring the new modem but it wouldn't work.

I tried to start up my net zero account and it kept saying "another program is using the modem" and it wasn't available.

I'm running McAfee virus scan ent. + anti-spyware module 8.0.0 for protection.

Right then it picked up a trojan infection and gave a warning message, but for some reason it couldn't delete it, and it couldn't name it.

So I went to Start>control panel> modems and a warning message came up that was strange.

It wouldn't let me access my modem controls and said I needed to add/delete my current modem configurations and do a re-install.

At the top of the message there was no name just "SLCPAPPL" in the header.

I did a search for those files and there were 3 or 4 self-extracting .cab files which I was thinking were not supposed to be there.

they were listed in C:/SM56USBSL/setup.cab
C:/windows/system 32
c:/Windows/modio/slusb2ku/setup.cab

I did a smitrem search and it found nothing out of the ordinary and my McaFee files were 30 days outdated
so I think I should have done an update but now that my modem won't work I can't do an update.

I'm not sure if this is the same trojan but sometimes it makes my START bar (the entire bar at the bottom of my screen) disappear.

If you could tell me if I'm on the right track here or offer any suggestions that would be great.

I thank you in advance.
-Jeff

Advertisements

RedfordRenegade

RedfordRenegade

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I'll do a hijackthis log tonight when I get home, I'm sure it will help out some more.