Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVDROM Drive wont read dvds or games ?

• Please log in to reply

rxkevco

rxkevco

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Hi all,
I originally posted this thread in the games section, but i think its more appropriate here in the hardware section.

Problem started this morning when i went out and bought " 2142 battlefield " by EA games.
It wouldnt install at all when i put it in the drive, in fact, it wasnt even visible when clicking on the drives icon in " my computer " ????? :blink:

The drive will read music cds, and data cds with photos etc on them,, but it wont play dvds or games.
I have tried a few dvd films ( that were playing fine 2 days ago ), but nothing happens, its as if they are blank discs ????

Unfortunatly,, the same has happened with this new game i bought this morning.

It appears that the drive wont read dvds at all,,, all very strange :whistling:

Device manager, says that its working properly, but to be on the safe side, i downloaded and installed the latest firmware update for this particular dvdrom drive.
Still no joy, i cant play any dvds or games....

What on earth is happening ?? the pc is less than 6 months old.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers, kev

Advertisements

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Anyone !!!

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
how often is the drive used...have you tried a CD /DVD cleaner disk yet ...what model #

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Its buggered,, am getting a replacement from pc world, its still under warrenty.

jdbnsn

jdbnsn

• Pip
  • 3 posts
The problem you are having is likely not a faulty drive, but a move from software developers to thwart piracy. If you have any type of program that images drives, then after you install battlefield your drive will disappear from your control panel and be gone. What you need to do if figure out what copying function you have that is triggering the lock, some feature of Nero will do this. I run Nero Ultra and it works fine, you may have to reinstall windows for the drive to return or possibly disconnect the IDE cable, reset BIOS to default, and plug it back in then boot. Of course this won't work if battlefield and the offending program are still loaded.

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Thanks for that folks ,,,

The drive in question is a dvdrom drive,, not a hardrive !!
Neither of which has disapeared at any point.

The drive was indeed biggered, as the replacement drive works perfectly as it should, and battlefeild is now up and running !!

Thanks for all the advice though.