Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bluescreen, physical memory dump

• Please log in to reply

Masquerade

Masquerade

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello Fellow G33ks :whistling:

Just bought all new computer parts. New motherboard, CPU, RAM, Harddisk, Graphix Card even a new powersupply. After assembeling the parts and installing Windows XP I was installing Steam when the comp suddenly freezes and displays the blue screen after a few seconds.

Now it goes to bluescreen rather randomly, but usually when the comp is performing a task.

BlueScreen Message:
A problem has been detected and windows has to shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR

Technical Information:
*** Stop: 0x0000007A (0xE16204C4, 0xC0000185, 0xBF9215B6, 0x29D4C860)

*** win32k.sys - Adress BF9215B6 base at BF800000 DateStamp 3d6de5e5

Beginning dump of physical memory

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My comp is a:
MSI K9N SLI Platinum with an AMD Athlon X2 4600+ DualCore 2,4Ghz
2GB of Corsair PC5300 DDR2RAM
Gainward Nvidia 7900GT 512MB RAM PCI-Express
Have a Western Digital Caviar 320GB SATA2 disk
and as I said, all the parts are brand new.

Found that:
"The Stop 0x7A message indicates that a page of kernel data was not found in the paging (virtual memory) file and could not be read into memory. This might be due to incompatible disk or controller drivers, firmware, or hardware." (Quote from http://www.updatexp....p-messages.html )
But after I read the linked article I tried sending my motherboard, ram and harddisk back to the supplier to see if there was something wrong with them, but they were all sent back to mine reported to be fully functional.

I am lost. please help.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
The main error message in block caps should be followed by an I/O error code underneath. A list and the meaning of these error codes can be found here:

http://www.windowsit...4544/44544.html

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
after building the computer did you install all the drivers that came on the CD that came with the motherboard...

Masquerade

Masquerade

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi again =)

Yes, I installed all drivers for motherboard and even a bunch of utilitys to update the drivers.

Tried looking at that table of codes, but I cant find one explaining my prob.
I attached a picture of the error with this post.

Thanks again
-MasQ

Attached Thumbnails

• error.jpg

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try this...
Run a Chkdsk. Start.... Run.... type... Chkdsk /f/r then hit OK. You will have a message that it can't be run now, would you like to run at boot (Y/N) type: Y then Enter. Restart your computer and let it run.

You can also right click your Local Disk (C:) in My Computer and select properties. Tools tab, Error- Checking > Check Now button. Check the boxes and hit Start.

Masquerade

Masquerade

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi again =)

Thanks for the advice happyrck, but I already did several Chkdsk checks, and they all came out clean.

But you are correct nontheless... The disk was (and still is) the problem. The HDD in question is a WDC SATA 320GB disk, but my disconnecting it and installing my system on an WDC IDE 120GB disk everything seems to be in order...
I even sent the faulty SATA disk back to the seller for errorchecking, but they returned it as working properly. (bs)

So im just gonna have to use the disk as a secondary drive for now...

Thanks alot for all your help folks!

Hugs'n'kisses
-Masquerade

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
does your bios see the drive....also if you want to just us it as a backup drive..try this..

consider moving your swap, or paging, file to another partition. Also known as virtual memory, the swap file extends your PC's memory, holding information from real RAM on your hard drive as you work. By default, this file is written to drive C:, but you can improve performance and increase free space by moving it to a different partition. Right-click.... My Computer and select Properties... Advanced. In the Performance section, click Settings ... Advanced.. and in the Virtual Memory section, click Change. Next to drive C:, the two numbers in the Paging File Size (MB) column indicate the minimum and maximum size limits of the current file.

To set up a new paging file on a different drive..., highlight that drive letter and click either the Custom Size or System Managed Size radio button. The Custom Size button lets you specify the desired size. (1 and a half to two times the size of your RAM is good ) set the initial and maximum sizes to the same value so that Windows doesn't have to dynamically adjust the file size. Or choose System Managed Size to let Windows do the job on its own.

Once you've configured the new swap file, click Set, then highlight drive C:. Click No Paging File to delete the old file on that drive and click Set again.

after you do this you can try reinstalling windows to the sata drive...that is how i have mine set up...you will have a dual boot option when you boot so if you ever have a problem with windows on the C drive you can boot to the other drive and get at your data on the C drive and keep working until you have time to fix whatever happened...this is not a backup solution...you should still employ several backups solutions to backup important data

Edited by happyrck, 04 November 2006 - 11:26 AM.

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
Well, if the SATA drive checks out as good, but causes errors in your system, I'd be looking hard at your SATA cable or the particular SATA port on the motherboard you were connecting to.