Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

geforce 7900 gto help!

• Please log in to reply

tommkell

tommkell

• PipPip
  • 67 posts
hi,
i recently bought an MSI geforce 7900 GTO graphics card from ocuk, installed it and it runs no better than my last card, ( a geforce 6610xl). i phoned ocuk and they advised me to upgrade my psu, which i did. from a generic 350w to a hiper 530w psu. i didnt make any real difference. next they advised me to format my hard drive and re-install windows, which i did. again, no difference. so i sent the card back, they tested it and sent it back to me saying it was ok. has anyone got any ideas what could be wrong. thanks in advance for your help.
tom
p4 550 3.4ghz
1 gb ram
250 hdd
7900 gto

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

hi,
i recently bought an MSI geforce 7900 GTO graphics card from ocuk, installed it and it runs no better than my last card, ( a geforce 6610xl). i phoned ocuk and they advised me to upgrade my psu, which i did. from a generic 350w to a hiper 530w psu. i didnt make any real difference. next they advised me to format my hard drive and re-install windows, which i did. again, no difference. so i sent the card back, they tested it and sent it back to me saying it was ok. has anyone got any ideas what could be wrong. thanks in advance for your help.
tom
p4 550 3.4ghz
1 gb ram
250 hdd
7900 gto

Hi a 6610xl is a rare video card and was not massively produced, only to oem manufacturers. There is not much specs about this card on the net at all.. I know that the 7900 gto should definately be a step forward.

A 6610xl is actually slower than a 6600gt is and I know that the 6600 series are becoming slow nowadays. http://images.google...htt...6lr=&sa=N

There is probably something on your pc causing the problem drivers or something.

Have you tried different video card drivers?? Sometimes certain video card driver versions dont work well with some cards.

Try updating the video card drivers.

bmwboy

bmwboy

• PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
Also, make sure you get the drivers direct from nVidia, the manufacturer distributed drivers are often way outdated.

--bmwboy

tommkell

tommkell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
ive installed the latest drivers, the nvidea control panel recognises the card and says its running at the right speeds, 650 and 660 respectively. its just in games and 3d mark benchmarks im getting really pathetic framerates/ scores.??

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

ive installed the latest drivers, the nvidea control panel recognises the card and says its running at the right speeds, 650 and 660 respectively. its just in games and 3d mark benchmarks im getting really pathetic framerates/ scores.??

the card and says its running at the right speeds, 650 and 660 respectively.

Which card did you get. The bfg or which company is it put together by? Like bfg, xfx,msi,leadtek,pny.. etc..

What do you mean by 650 and 660 respectively?

Here are the speeds for the 7900 gto from bfg..

Core clock speed 580MHz (vs 560MHz std)

Memory clock 1450MHz effective (vs. 1400MHz standard)

So if your 7900 gto is running at 650 / 660 then something is wrong.

Are you positive its a 7900gto??

tommkell

tommkell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
yeah its from msi it runs at:
core 650
mem 1320
i bought it from overclockers uk

tommkell

tommkell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
i wonder is the motherboard the problem, it may not be good enough for the card?

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

i wonder is the motherboard the problem, it may not be good enough for the card?

Its highly unlikely its the motherboards fault..

You can give drivercleaner a try.

http://www.drivercleaner.net/

It uninstalls all of your video card drivers and anything that might be left over from any previous older drivers.

Try that out and uninstall the video card drivers. Then after you do that. Goto nvidia.com and get the very latest video card drivers again and install those, then reboot the pc.

tommkell

tommkell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
no it didnt work im afraid.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
I hope you plugged the 6-pin power plug into the card.......

Fenor

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

I hope you plugged the 6-pin power plug into the card.......

Fenor

LOL I think he would know because the make a horrible loud beeping sound.

tommkell

tommkell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
yeah i have, im gonna bring the pc to mplex ( a pc shop) today and have them check it out. thanks for your help anyway.
tom

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Hmm, sounds like there is a limiting factor somwhere, i know someone said use the latest drivers from nvidia but actually if its not working with latest as sometime happens it can help to use the originals you got on disk.

Your PC what make is it, and what motherboard type is it, maybe its using one of those AGP/PCI-e ports. Have you tried a Bios update as well.