Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Multiple monitors - can't change resolution

• Please log in to reply

pocketjesuits

pocketjesuits

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Today I finally received my three 20" LCDs (Samsung Syncmaster 204B) which I have arranged in a horizontal configuration. I have successfully been able to get them up and running in Windows XP, with one important problem - whenever I try to change the screen resolution in Display Properties the computer crashes and returns to its previous configuration. Therefore, I currently have the primary monitor on 1024x768, and the other two on 1360x768. I would like them all to be 1600x1200, but again, if I change this display setting (or the color depth) the computer crashes.

I installed a new ATI Visiontek x1300 dual-video card in my PCI port to go along with my old ATI Radeon 9200 single-video card in my AGP port.

If anyone has solved this resolution-crashing problem before and has any insight, it would be much appreciated.

Edit: I should point out that the problem occurs if I change the resolution at all - not only when i increase the resolution - so it's not a matter of my monitors or cards not supporting 1600x1200 - they all do.

Advertisements

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
Hi and welcome to geeks to go...

from the sounds of things the reason why your screens are crashing could be that your video card isn't power full enough to supply 3 monitors with 1600X1200

that is a very large resoulution and spreading that across 3 monitors takes a bit of grahics power.

also how did you manage to get 2 grahics cards running simultaneously on one system with a AGP and a PCI?

physicallly it is possable but i think it could be causing stability issues. are you trying to run like different images on each screen? for example are you stretching teh desktop across all screens? or just displaying the same image on all monitors???

i still am under the impression that your grahics card isnt powerfull enough to dispaly thoose resoultions on all 3 monitors but i could be wrong

troppo

pocketjesuits

pocketjesuits

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
thanks for the response troppo,

however, as i pointed out, the problem isn't just changing the display to 1600x1200. The problem occurs if I change the display at all - even if I decrease the resolution to 800x600 or decrease the color depth.

I am attempting to stretch the desktop across three monitors horizontally so my effective workspace is 4800x1200.

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
ok well if thats the case i really dont think that your grahics card will sufficiantly perform that task.
i would suggest looking into a better grahics card

also what rating of power supply do you have this may be causing the problem also.

as to when you lower the resolution i am not to sure

how have you got these monitors set-up into teh system liek what is teh cnfigeration of teh cables into what video card and stuff

troppo

pocketjesuits

pocketjesuits

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
thanks troppo, but i just fixed it!

all i had to do was update my old video card's drivers... can't believe i forgot to do that.

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
well its a simple mistake and im glad you got it fixed and working

happy computing

troppo