Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

why does this happen?

• Please log in to reply

vip3r

vip3r

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
hey all im running windows xp, and wenever i restart my computer, or turn it on my size starts off at 1280X1204 and thats wut i like it at, but about 3 seconds later my screen goes black and it goes to 800X600, the really large size which i hate and i have to keep on changing it its apin in the 4$$ to keep on doing this plz tell mewut i need to change,thanks

Advertisements

wmerideth

wmerideth

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
Did you make any changes before this started happening? New Video Card, monitor, update a driver, etc....?

Also, what vid card and monitor do you have?

vip3r

vip3r

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
i have a nvidia gefore mx440 64mb ram

and i have a BenQ 17" monitor

and no i havnt made any changes at all

im really confused

and actually i cant even see my lil icon in the taskbar for my vid card, and its really weird, maybe thers a new update for the driver??

wmerideth

wmerideth

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
That was going to be my suggestion. I would go to the nvidia site to download and install new drivers.

wmerideth

wmerideth

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
If just updating the driver doesn't work, I would totally uninstall the video driver and use the newly downloaded one to reinstall.

vip3r

vip3r

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
wut do u mean?... also i got DNA-force

wmerideth

wmerideth

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
If you go to this site, you can download the newest drivers for your card.

http://www.nvidia.co...p_2k_91.47.html

It suggests uninstalling your previous drivers before installing the new one your going to download. To do that, Browse to the Start Menu > Windows Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs and search for "NVIDIA Windows Display Drivers" or "NVIDIA Display Drivers" and select remove.

After you uninstall, you should be ready to open up the file you downloaded and follow the instrucions it gives.

wmerideth

wmerideth

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
This file will cover the new drivers for your nvidia gefore mx440 video card

vip3r

vip3r

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
cant i just update? cuz i dont really feel save uninstalling my gcard

vip3r

vip3r

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
or do i need to restart my computer at all?? cuz im downloading somthin right now and i cant

Advertisements

wmerideth

wmerideth

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
I would recommend uninstalling the older drivers before installing the new ones....it shouldn't take that long at all. Just remember to download and save the new file from the nvidia site somewhere you can easily get to (I usually save it to the desktop). After uninstalling, you can run the file and it should take a couple of minutes to walk you through the process and get your new drivers loaded.

wmerideth

wmerideth

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
It will probably ask you to restart once its done with everything. I would go ahead and download the file from the nvidia site so you can have it at hand when your ready to do all this. You don't need to run it when its done....do that when your ready.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
A little reminder here that Nvidia does not like running 2 versions of drivers at the same time. Installing newer drivers without FIRST uninstalling the old drivers is asking for a continious rebooting of the computer that even safe mode cannot stop.

And the real reason your display os reverting to 800x600 is because the Geforce 4 440MX video card cannot support 1280 x 1024 so it reverts back to the windows default of 800x600. The highest the 440 supports is 1024x768. This is a pretty old card to be using for anything but normal use. The smallest cards i have now is the FX5200 128 Mb video cards.

SRX660

vip3r

vip3r

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
so wut if i did run this program withouth uninstalling??

vip3r

vip3r

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
ok i got this card a while ago form my friend, and it been running great, just the other like day its been weird.. i dunno y, and i only play like warrock now could that have set it off???