Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrade error

• Please log in to reply

roemccloud

roemccloud

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I have been trying to upgrade my Service Pack and it tells me my product key is invalid. I do not have the cd I used to upgrade ME to XP professional. So I now am trying to wipe out my entire computer and start from scratch with a new xp home edition cd. it does not load from cd although my computer is set up to run from cd rom before hard drive and when i go to run the cd i get "current version of windows is not a supported upgrade path." i know my current version is bad i want to get rid of it but my computer will not let me override it. PLEASE HELP, i just wanted to start new with windows home edition xp.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi roemccloud...

Is the new XP cd an upgrade version or a full version? You may have to uninstall the upgrade XP and return to ME before you can upgrade again.

Are you starting the machine with the cd in the drive or just restarting?

If you don't have any important files on the machine, try a clean install. You'll need the original Windows ME disk to verify a previous version.

wannabe1

roemccloud

roemccloud

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
i looked at the cd and it says upgrade on it. i turned the computer off put the cd in and turned it back on and it didnt read it it went straight to my desktop so i ran it from my computer and it only lets me update and thats when i get the error. thats what i want to do just wipe everything out and start over but the ME is what my computer came with and i got rid of all the cd's b/c i installed xp i believe over everything (my friend did it not me) so i think he wiped over ME so I dont have any of the discs. the only thing left of ME is the product key on the side of my computer that it came with.

Edited by roemccloud, 31 October 2006 - 08:12 AM.