Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sound Card Issues

• Please log in to reply

noobsaibot21

noobsaibot21

• PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Hi geeks,

I'm having a bit of trouble with my PC at the moment. I had an 'UNMOUNTABLE BOOT VOLUME issue which i managed to clear with Windows XP Installation CD. However, after i recovered, my PC has NO SOUND. Whenever i try to install my soundcard device, the PC gets the Unmountable problem when i reset to have the changes take effect. And then i have to repair again and deal with the no sound issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. If you need any kind of scans like Hijack This etc... just let me know and i will post any results needed to help me.

Many Thanks,
Noobsaibot21

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
when you say " i managed to clear with Windows XP Installation CD." ...is this a OEM CD that came with the computer...if so it should put the computer back to the way it was the day you bought it and it should load the sound drivers needed ...unless you installed a PCI sound card...then you will need to install those drivers by going to the manufactures website and getting them and burning them to a cd or find the cd that came with the card and use those drivers

noobsaibot21

noobsaibot21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Hi mate,

Thanks for the reply. I have a retail version of Windows XP. I don't specifically have a sound card - it's part of the motherboard (which is an MSI 915GM4-FI, I915G, Socket-775, Bulk VGA, SATA, m-ATX, GbLAN, DDR, PCI-Ex16 - acording to the site i bough it on - www.komplett.ie)

I have a strange feeling that it's the startup processes overclocking my boot (or something) but it shouldn't do that. Here are my specs:

Intel Pentium 4 processor at 2.6 Ghz.
512 Mbit RAM,
80 Gb Hard Drive,
Realtek HD Audio (on the motherboard),
Video Card on the motherboard.

I don't have any big games on the PC or anything like that and i'm pretty sure it's not a virus - i used ad-aware and hijack this to check. If you want logs for these, i can have them for you no problems. Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Noobsaibot21

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you did not answer this ....... when you say " i managed to clear with Windows XP Installation CD." ...is this a OEM CD that came with the computer...if so it should put the computer back to the way it was the day you bought it and it should load the sound drivers needed

Edited by happyrck, 31 October 2006 - 08:59 PM.

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
Actually, he did answer it. "I have a retail version of Windows XP."

And in that case, it sounds like your sound drivers are not installed. Check Control Panel -> System -> Hardware tab -> Device Manager, and see if anything in there has a ? or ! next to it. If so, you need these drivers:
http://downloadfinde.....mp;submit=Go!
for chipset,
http://downloadfinde.....mp;submit=Go!
for onboard video,
http://www.msi.com.t...v...=661&kind=1
for sound.

Happyrck - generally, people who buy an aftermarket motherboard don't get a Windows XP CD, like you would with a prebuilt computer from a manufacturer like HP, IBM, or Dell.

noobsaibot21

noobsaibot21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Hi Guys,

I downloaded and installed the Realtek HD Audio files you linked me to. I installed them and the computer restarts fine. However, there is still no sound. I have the Realtek logo in my taskbar and i can right click it. There are a few options. I can go into sound manager and even play a 3D demo for which the sound comes out fine. However, when i go to control panel and select audio & sound devices, it says there are none.

I'm hugely confused by all of this. On a slightly different note, i have an MSI cdrom which came with my motherboard. This cdrom has audio files too but it's when i try to install them through the cd, that's when the boot problem starts. I had no boot problems with the zip file you provided a download for.

Any ideas? You dont need any scans or anything?

Many thanks,
Noobsaibot21

P.S. - The Windows XP CD is neither a retail version OR an OEM. It is a full copy of XP similar to a retail version but it's a disc i got directly from Microsoft which says "Not for retail or OEM distribution" on it.

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
Well, that's a different one. Go to Control Panel -> System -> Hardware tab -> Device Manager, and let me know if there's anything in there with a ? or ! next to it.
Other than that...I've seen sound drivers do some wierd things lately, let me think a bit on this one, I'll check back.

noobsaibot21

noobsaibot21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Hello again mate,

Sorry about the delay between responses. No, i have no hardware conflicts or turned off hardware. I'm as perplexed as you are as, while i'm no "geek to go", i do have a little knowledge on what my PC is and isn't doing. I've simply run out of possible ideas RE: things that are going wrong.

Again, if you need any logfiles for any scans, i can sort you out. It should be noted that, despite the fact that i can actually SEE the Realtek HD Audio in Device manager, when i go to sound devices in control Panel, the PC doesn't detect them. :whistling: :blink: :help:

Hope this gives you any idea.
Many Thanks,
Noobsaibot21

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
I've personally had some issues with realtek onboard sound. It's nothing to do with the quality of the hardware, which isn't bad, but rather with the way drivers like to bind to it. However, having re-read the post, with the other problems you're seeing...

Nuke and pave. Back up all your important data, and completely format the system and reinstall Windows. There is some problem, somewhere, with the way this particular install is picking up hardware, and with enough work, it could probably be determined and sorted, but I've never had that much patience.

One last thing to try, though...the Realtek HD Sound drivers listed here:
http://www.msi.com.t...v...=661&kind=1
They've got a version of the intel chipset drivers there as well, but they're a bit out of date.
If you decide to reinstall, remember to visit that link to intel and grab the newest chipset drivers again, as it will avoid problems down the road.

noobsaibot21

noobsaibot21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Hello again,

Got it sorted WITHOUT a reinstall. I disabled most of the startup services and then did an uninstall and reinstall of the Realtek drivers then finally restarted the system startup and settings. Sound works fine now AND no more of that Unmountable Boot problem.

Many thanks for all of your help anyway.
This issue can be closed.
Noobsaibot21