Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Please help me boot into Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

justmarvin

justmarvin

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I was trying to create another logon account that has restricted access to my files. So what I did was right button clicked the drive I wanted restricted and went to properties. Then, I clicked the tab that said sharing. It listed all the people who has access i.e. Administrator, system, everyone, user, owner, etc. I had deleted everything except administrator which I had assumed was my account so nobody but me would have access to the folders in my account.

Then... my folder in my desktop with some important files suddenly dissapeared. Can I get that back?

After that, I went to the other account and it seems like that account did not have access to my folders. When I clicked my drive and my folders it said "access denied." I went back to my account and found that the accounts (users, everyone, system, etc) I deleted were put back on the permissions list. I just left those users there, but I checked/unchecked the "deny" or "allow" boxes where appropriate e.g. I clicked allowed for "adminstrator" and "owner" and clicked denied for "everyone" but then my computer froze. I think it froze while I clicked the check box to allow "system."

The window said it was not responding so I ctrl+alt+Del out of there and after that I can't boot into this drive at all. When I start Windows XP it goes to the Windows XP loading screen but never makes it to the log-on screen. It always restarts before the log-on screen appears. I tried starting on safe-mode but it also restarts. I tried repairing the OS with the Windows XP Pro CD at boot-up but it says that it can not install the files it's trying to install. Maybe this is because the account privileges isn't allowing this since I touched the account settings as I described above.

I hooked up this drive as a slave and booted the OS on my other drive. I can see my main folders when I look into the drive, but I can't click on any of them because it says "access denied."

How would I be able to fix this so that I can log on. Also, do you know why my folder suddenly dissapeared from my desktop? It just suddenly dissapeared, and I don't think it was in my recycle bin. Also, I am pretty sure that my computer was virus free as my antivirus is up-to-date.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Sincerely,

JM

Advertisements