Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

connection issues

• Please log in to reply

hyeone

hyeone

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
for the past few months, my internet has been driving me crazy!!! it will be fine for a few days, maybe even weeks then all of a sudden, the connection would stop sending/recieving packets...so i have no connectivity. i usually disconnect everything and leave it off for 30 min to an hour and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt. sometimes ih ave to wait a few hours for it to come back. i never tired calling the company since i try everything they would tell me to do.

any ideas on what causes this? is there a way i can prevent this from happening again? any help is appriciated!

thanks

hp desktop
win xp home
webstar cable modem - comcast cable
linksys wireless (one desktop connected, 2 floors up)

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi. I take it this is a wireless connection?

hyeone

hyeone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
well yeah, but im the main computer.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
So on your wireless card, or adapter, does the connection say "very good"? It probably does, and then drops later, right?

hyeone

hyeone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
all the connections run fine. out of nowhere, all the connections just stop working. the 2 lights on the cable modem (data, cable) stop working and/or the cable light starts blinking(with the data light not working at all).

Edited by hyeone, 31 October 2006 - 08:05 PM.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
hhhmmm... I don't like saying this, but I suggest calling the ISP... They might have a warranty open for your modem, and they will also be able to "check your line" which makes sure that it's all good on their end. Give it a shot and let us know what happens.

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
Yar, any connection problem that involves lights changing on the cable modem is either a bad modem or a line issue, both of which involve the help of your ISP.

hyeone

hyeone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
ok, ill do that. appriciate it.