Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"Error loading Explorer.exe. You must reinstall Windows."

• Please log in to reply

dairyinvader

dairyinvader

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Recently my Windows ME computer will not load up, and upon startup it gives me that message. Ive searched for answers far and wide...

I tried this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306599 , but I dont know what my unknown file name is, if there even is one at all.

I tried restoring the system to an earlier date, only to recieve the same startup error message.

I tried copying Explorer.exe from a Windows98 computer onto my WindowsME computer, but it does nothing.

I tried this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299296 , but after I type the confirmation "y" (yes), it says "ERROR: Cannot open file: e:\win9x\(null)".

Ive also tried various other things, but none of them work. All I am looking for is a way to get my computer back up and running, but still be able to keep all my files. I heard somewhere that I can somehow "overlap" (I forget the exact term) Windows ME so that I can keep my files, but it still reinstalls Windows?? Someone please help me out, Ive put tons of effort into this already, and I just need to resolve this so I can get back to how things used to be.

Edited by dairyinvader, 31 October 2006 - 02:12 AM.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
If all your own files are in 'My Documents' (as they should be), just copy evrything in there to a CD-R then re-install Windows by booting from a startup floppy then typing the letter that corresponds to your CD-ROM drive and press ENTER. Then type SETUP and press ENTER. You can copy your files back to the computer from the CD when Windows is up and running again.

dairyinvader

dairyinvader

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
How could I copy something to a CD-R if I cant even get into my Explorer? Most of my files arent in My Documents.... they are in a different folder on my Desktop. Is there no way to remedy this situation, rather than trash it? Or just keep as much as possible (files, favorites, programs, etc)? Ive found many remedies on google, and Im sure one of them should work if I find out what I am doing wrong.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi dairyinvader
Could you please tell me what is in your system.ini file
Cheers
peterm