Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Processor woes

• Please log in to reply

VitalLife

VitalLife

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Ok I was using an AMD Athlon XP 3000+ for about 2 years. Recently I noticed my cpu temps climbing so I decided to reapply my Arctic Silver. Well after doing that I started having problems. At first when I booted up I was getting nothing on my screen. Just a straight black screen. Well I cleared my cmos and I got it to boot into windows but it recognized my cpu at 1.00 ghz instead of 2.1 ghz. I went into my bios ( I'm using a Biostar M7NCD Pro btw) and put my fsb from 100 to 200, rebooted and it recognized it as it should. Well then I kept having random restarts and even a couple blue screens. This is where I'm at now, I've since then put in my old 1800+ and it's been working perfect, so I'm ruling my mobo out as the problem. I thought maybe I applied too much thermal compound, so I started fresh again and still no luck. Any ideas? I'm going crazy over this :whistling: . Thanks for any help.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
depending on how hot the CPU got ....you may have killed it...to much paste can be as bad as no paste...its only meant to fill microscopic imperfections between the CPU and the heatsink...because the "old " CPU works without crashing I would bet that the CPU died and you have a funeral to attend... :whistling:

VitalLife

VitalLife

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
That's what I was betting on. I *really* don't think that I messed it up because of the thermal compound, as this is not my first time doing it. I've done several builds without an issue like this. I double-checked myself when I reapplied by looking at Arctic Silver's website. Could I possibly have damaged the core? I had to give a little more force than I wanted to get my heatsink on.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
the test would be to reinstall it and try it...because you said you have installed CPU's before....my money's on its dead or mortally wounded :whistling:

VitalLife

VitalLife

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Yeah I'm calling this one dead :whistling: Good thing is that I'll be upgrading soon. Thanks for the replies.

Edited by VitalLife, 01 November 2006 - 02:07 AM.