Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Network Home Problem

• Please log in to reply

aodhan51

aodhan51

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I'm not sure this is the thread to ask in, but I'm having a network problem at home. I have a Belkin router for my Cable hook up and it has been working fine. My wife and I each have a laptop. She is still connected, but this morning I was not connected to the network. The balloon on the taskbar says Wireless Network Unavailable. I did not make any changes to my computer or it's settings. I merely opened up my computer from sleep mode, and it cannot find the network. I have tried "repairing" the connection and it times out saying it cannot find the network. I even did a system restore to last month to see if that would work, but it doesn't. Does anyone have any idea how to fix this? Thanks so much...

Aodhan

Edited by aodhan51, 31 October 2006 - 01:24 PM.

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi. Do you have any security settings enabled on the router? What kind of router do you have at home?

aodhan51

aodhan51

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
To my knowledge there are no security settings. I've even turned off the firewall on my computer. I have a Belkin router, but I don't know the model number. It's at home, and I'll look at the number when I get home, but I probably won't be able to respond until I get to work tomorrow.

thanks for your help...

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
If anything doesn't work after waking up from sleep mode, restart the computer. XP does all kinds of fun things when returning from sleep, and sometimes "reinitializing hardware so it will actually work" isn't one of them.

aodhan51

aodhan51

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
You're right. I shut the computer down overnight, rebooted this morning, and I was connected. Go figure... Thanks for your help and suggestions. I appreciate it.

Edited by aodhan51, 01 November 2006 - 07:08 AM.