Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Hard Drive Wont delete data

• Please log in to reply

ctc_celtic

ctc_celtic

• Pip
  • 7 posts
hi there,
for the last couple of week my hard drive keeps filling up, even though i have deleted most of the information on it.
it say on my C: properities that i have 74gb used and 2gb remaining, then when i go into the C: folders they all add up to only about 20gb.
when i first realised it was getting full, i deleted about 40gb of data off it but the C: properities remained the same.
i've tried disk cleanup, disk compression, disk fragmentor and all the other options.
also theres nothing in my recycle bin.
please help.
(i've also used c cleaner program)
some info;
HP D330
XP Professional
Maxtor 6y080l0 hard drive

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Do you have Norton protected recycle bin

If the PC is running well, run disc clean up, click more options, clean up restore points, does it free anything up

ctc_celtic

ctc_celtic

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
yeah tried that, only freed up a 100mb+-

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you got any system utilities installed

ctc_celtic

ctc_celtic

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
not sure what you mean but i take it its like registar cleaner etc,
i have the CCleaner (ccleaner.com) program installed, ran it and it freed up about 500mb or so.
i'm running ZoneAlarms security suite, dont see anything in it regarding recycle bin.

from what i understand (is't much) the hard drive will store deleted data on it till it is over written, is it possible this process has stopped.

i'm thinking i'll just have to buy a new hard drive, and try and transfer all data to it.
(my computer did't come with an XP disk so if this fails, i could be screwed)

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start, click my computer, click, tools, folder options, view, put the dot in show hidden files and folders, click apply

Double click local disc C then right click a folder, click properties, wait till it gives you its size and size on disc

Some folders will take a few minutes to show the sizes

Are any of them larger than expected

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
system restore might be taking up a lot of space. 5-20 gbs depending on the option that you set it to

ctc_celtic

ctc_celtic

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
no all of them relate to the stuff i have in them, most are less than 1gb, bar my doc, with is 20gb, but i know what all that is, and don't really want to delete it.

is there a program that might give me a better break-down of where all the space has been taken up (better than just the properties button)

ctc_celtic

ctc_celtic

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
right, my system restore was set at max 9000mb (is that 9gb?) i changed that to 1% but i remember runing something that asked if i'd like to delete all old restore points (bar the last one) and i did.
so i assume thats not the problem.

Edited by ctc_celtic, 31 October 2006 - 04:31 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you open my documents to look for lighter coloured folders

ctc_celtic

ctc_celtic

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
yeah, i found;

User default 366kb
App data 5.69mb
local settings 54mb
net hood and print hood, both empty
Send to 131kb

thats all

ctc_celtic

ctc_celtic

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
just thinking,
i downloaded SP2 for XP but did't install it and deleted it off, is it very big?
would it still be on the computer somewhere,
i'm getting desparate.