Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Loud Speakers Next To My Pc... Is This A Big No No?

• Please log in to reply

superstar

superstar

• PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
I work in a sound studio and I must know this answer...

Well I have a pc and on the floor we have two loud speakers that pound loud music. Now is this bad for my hard drives or pc? Can this damage my pc at all?

I've had them there for a while now but I must know before I do any damage. One thing I know is that hard drives shouldn't be by static or whatever. I hope whatever is used to make speakers (I believe magnets are inside all speakers) doesn't ruin my hard drives inside my pc. I also heard that hard drives are suceptable to vibration or something. Hmmm Please help me before I do any damage....

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well...with speakers you have two of the biggest dangers to computers (and any electronic equipment)...those being magnetism, and vibration...i've thes are normal computer speakers...they're probably sheilded for the magnetism....but...i still never trust that....but there's nothing to stop the soundwaves from vibrating your drive to death..

if these are REALLY loud, large speakers that you regularly play ALOT of VERY loud audio through...you'll probably want them to be as far away from the PC (meaning the tower and the monitor) as possible....the magnets in the speakers will distort a CRT monitor like you wouldn't believe...and eventually will ruin it....and the vibration alone could cause one of the read/write heads on your hard drive to make contact with the platters...which equals hard drive death....there's a SLIGHT possibility that the magnetic interferance COULD damage the HD...but that's not as likely as the vibration

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
Wow thanks

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
01-Superstar-LOUD speakers- next to PC]-29th MAR-2007

Well I have a pc and on the floor we have two loud speakers that pound loud music. Now is this bad for my hard drives or pc? Can this damage my pc at all?

I think the Keyword here is – LOUD – Consider thy neighbor’s mental health first -

Amen -
Jack123

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
lololol