Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video Card or Power Source?

• Please log in to reply

Icculus

Icculus

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
Just yesterday my computer stopped starting up with my x1300 pro agp radeon 256. I am using a store bought hp computer (i know, i know...) with a audigy 2 sound card and a wintv card, 2 hard drives, 2 cd roms, and a digital camera memory card reader thing. All of this on a 250 watt supply.

I dont want to send in my video card if I dont have to, I bought it in may and have had no problems.

when I turn on my computer with it in, the fans start going, but no power gets to the USB's (keyboard, mouse.)

Power Supply? :whistling:

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
look on the back of the computer power supply and see how many Watts it is...your PSU may be dying so for starters backup anything you can't live without

Icculus

Icculus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
My power supply is 250 watts

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
not enough power. especially if you have all those hds and pci cards.
The recommended minimum wattage for any ati x1xxx card is 350 watt. So it's best if you upgrade your power supply, 450 watt should be the minimum to power today's systems and it will leave you plenty of room for upgrades later on. you can find quality ps for around 50$$

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I agree with †Gladiator†...the power supply is weak especially when you consider that the cheap PSU's that come with most systems are only rated at 70 % of rated power...remember...BACKUP

Icculus

Icculus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Thanks for the advice. I thought it was a ps problem and didnt want to send in my video card for such a problem. Ill get a new ps and let you know how everything works out...

I bought the comp becuase I needed a comp quickly and didnt have enough time to work with a cpu/mb combo to build my own...college

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your welcome... :whistling:

Icculus

Icculus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Got an antec 350 watt PS, no difference.

When I power up the computer everything sounds like its working, but no power goes to my keyboard/mouse and no signal to my monitor.

Again, when the card is removed, everything is just dandy.

EDIT:

this same thing happened with my last video card, however it was much older...

Edited by Icculus, 01 November 2006 - 06:55 PM.

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
oh ummm do you have a via chipset motherboard? some mother board requires updated virtual GART drivers for the agp slot to work properly. Also did you make sure that the 4 pin power connector from the video card is connected to the powersupply? ohh and also from what u describe it seems that you have integrated gfx built in the board, so disabling that would be another option to try.

Icculus

Icculus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
The 4-pin connector was and is connected. Yes there is an integrated gfx on the board, but i dont think ill be able to disable it if i cant startup the computer with the other card in.

ill look into the via chipset mobo, i have one iff the hp pavilion a700n comes with one, however everything was working well for months until just the other day when it all stopped working

EDIT:

Chipset VIA KM400A

VIA VT8237

Edited by Icculus, 01 November 2006 - 09:41 PM.